D&D 5E Doctors & Daleks - Cubicle 7 Brings Doctor Who to D&D 5E

Cubicle 7 -- makers of the official Doctor Who roleplaying game -- has announced that the Doctor will officially be coming to 5E soon under the name Doctors and Daleks. There are no dates or details yet, over than that the Doctors and Daleks Player's Guide will launch 'soon'. A NEW COMPANION FOR YOUR ADVENTURES THROUGH ALL OF SPACE AND TIME! The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite...

Cubicle 7 -- makers of the official Doctor Who roleplaying game -- has announced that the Doctor will officially be coming to 5E soon under the name Doctors and Daleks. There are no dates or details yet, over than that the Doctors and Daleks Player's Guide will launch 'soon'.

dnd.jpg

A NEW COMPANION FOR YOUR ADVENTURES THROUGH ALL OF SPACE AND TIME!

The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite Time Lord comes to the world’s most popular roleplaying game in Doctors and Daleks. Take your gaming group into the TARDIS and travel anywhere, anywhen. Want to meet Leornado da Vinci? Or see what life is like in the year 3,000? What about another planet entirely? All of space and time is your Venusian macro-oyster, but keep your wits about you — there’s a lot of danger in the vastness of eternity.

We are delighted to announce that we are working on Doctors and Daleks – a new line of products that brings Doctor Who adventures to your table using 5th Edition rules! The first release – The Doctors and Daleks Player’s Guide will launch soon.

The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite Time Lord comes to the world’s most popular roleplaying game in Doctors and Daleks. Take your gaming group into the TARDIS and travel anywhere, anywhen.

We’ll also continue to support the new Second Edition of our award winning Doctor Who: The Roleplaying Game, with a host of new products on the way soon!

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Nobody really knows for sure. WOTC did a study that says most campaigns don't reach that level, but then again, it could also be argued it's a self fulfilling loop. WOTC doesn't really support high level play (say past level 15) with adventures or other "epic tier" material. So is it that nobody wants to go that high, or they aren't doing it because there isn't really any material there for them to use.

The fact that those 3PP epic tier things are pretty successful (thinking of the Epic Legacy line) makes me think there is at least some demand.
I think it's developer bias. They don't play at high level during playtesting (much) or in their personal games. The lack of optional rules when they play among themselves supports this assertion. They always want to keep the game simple, and you can't do that at high levels.

I think it's developer bias. They don't play at high level during playtesting (much) or in their personal games. The lack of optional rules when they play among themselves supports this assertion. They always want to keep the game simple, and you can't do that at high levels.
I think I may start a new thread about this so we don't continue to hijack this thread.

For you gaming ideal, what would each of the following tiers look like according to mechanics and feel (such as superhero or whatever)?

Levels of each tier:
9-12
13-16
17-20
21-24

I think the game is acceptably fine 9-12. There are some 5th and 6th level spells that are questionable, but by and large there isn't anything that bothers me.

The trouble is that non-primary spellcasters characters above level 12 still scale their normal combat abilities, but they do so in generally marginal ways. They still expect to solve problems with attack rolls, damage dice, rider effects, and skill checks.

Meanwhile, spellcasters warp reality. At level 13+, there are spells that allow wholly orthogonal solutions not just to encounters, but to whole adventures. They solve the game from the character sheet in anti-climactic and undramatic ways. I'm not a fan of essentially every high level spell as presented.

Frankly, I don't think the game wants to or should scale into comic book superhero levels. It's perfectly fine to want to play a game where the characters do that. I don't think it's D&D because non-primary spellcasters don't and never have. AD&D was built around domain management above name level. In other words, they told you to stop playing D&D. Only video games work in AD&D at high level because video games can limit player choice and force them into basically standard combat. In 3e and 5e both they've found that nobody plays the game at high level because it's (a) too hard to DM because of the spellcaster, and (b) not fun for non-primary spellcasters. 4e circumvented the issue and took levels 5 to 9 and spread them over 30 levels. I think it's well past time to just admit that high level casters don't fit in the game.

The real problem, is the spells above 6th level. From the PHB's 7th level spells:
  • Teleport. Far too potent for far too little cost. If any spell were a poster child for having an expensive material cost, it would be teleport. The lower level transport spells have their own somewhat onerous requirements, so I don't have much problem with them. Teleport is just too good. This effect as presented should never exist.
  • Resurrection (and True Resurrection). These probably need to exist, but I don't see much reason for them to not just be ways to cast Raise Dead with more expensive materials. 500gp for every 10 days the creature has been dead is fine. I just don't have a problem with death being a prohibitively expensive barrier to cross. I can't remember a single instance when these spells were necessary to a campaign except when a PC were disintegrated or turned to undead. Making Raise Dead just cost 5 or 10 times more in those cases seems fine. Further, I rather like the idea that you might need to visit the afterlife to communicate with people who died decades or centuries ago. Like... I don't know that I can even count the number of stories where visiting the afterlife is a major quest and story point. I feel like these spells rob the game of that. The more I think about it, I'm not even sure that Raise Dead should be a spell, per se. It should be an open ritual available to any class of sufficient level who knows the process.
  • Forcecage. This spell is dumb. It's way too good, and can be used to trivialize almost any high level encounter. And it's a CHA save for what reason? It does have an expensive material cost, but the spell doesn't say it consumes it so it basically doesn't really have an expensive material cost.
  • Plane Shift. Honestly, this is probably too high a level. The game does need a way for planar travel to occur, but I'm not convinced it should be a high level spell at all. Again, it feels like the game is robbing the players of something here. I feel like this spell in particular should be a ritual or process available to all PCs above 10th level (like Raise Dead). Yeah, it's magic. But the game shouldn't make all magic the sole purview of a few classes, especially when it's essential magic. It doesn't do that with skills or martial prowess anymore.
  • Simulacrum. This spell is dumb. It's primary purpose is abusive to the action economy and class design. I have no problem with a simulacrum being a type of construct that PCs can make, like an advanced homunculus or golem, especially for narrative purposes. It should never work like this spell does. Simulacrum should be an entry in the Monster Manual like golems are, and those entries should describe (roughly or in detail) how they are constructed.
The rest of the 7th level spells are either badly scaling fireballs with novel areas of effect, or spells that effectively replicate magic items, or spells that are so narrow that they basically don't exist.

There are no 8th level spells that need to exist. All of them from the PHB are either redundant (telepathy, glibness, clone), grossly too effective at solving problems (demiplane, mind blank, clone), or so narrow as to be nearly pointless (tsunami, clone). The only two I can imagine being salvageable are Animal Shapes and Control Weather, both of which could be open rituals or Druid class abilities. The rest of them I wish did not exist.

For 9th level spells, it's the same problem as 8th level. Redundant (astral projection, meteor swarm), grossly too effective (gate, shapechange), or so narrow as to be pointless (imprisonment, weird). There is one effect worth saving: Wish. Wish should probably be limited to 20th level PCs, and should basically only exist because it's D&D and the wish effect has to exist in D&D because it's D&D. I'd be perfectly happy with wish being a boon granted by major powers or magic items. The rest of the 9th level spells add nothing good to the game. They do not need to exist as generally available effects or abilities. Most of them could be made into magic items or open rituals, which then gives the PCs something to quest for if they need that power.

The types of challenges the above spells are built to solve don't exist in the Monster Manual. They don't exist in any Monster Manual. And the characters that don't have access to those spells have no means of solving those kinds of problems.

So I would take all the 7th through 9th level spells, with the exceptions noted above, and move them to epic level. They don't belong with the rest of the game. That means Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard need 3 new high level abilities at 13th, 15th, and 17th level. I'm inclined to make them feats or ASIs until I found something better for them to do.

I don't think that's a good design, but I think it's a better design with a better starting point than how 5e stands now. I think that makes high level play instantly more accessible for DMs.

Yes, this change does mean the game scales very slowly at higher levels. But it already does for the other classes! Attribute bonuses are uneven. For levels 1-10, most characters will go from +3 to +5 attribute bonus, and +2 to +4 proficiency bonus. +4 over 10 levels. Above level 10 (arguably above level 9), you get just another +2, so it's +2 over 10 levels. The game doesn't build in magic item bonuses anymore (nor should it) so this is the par. The game already slows down. Non-primary spellcaster already never truly reach tier 4.

I actually rather really liked that approach. One of my favorite things about 4e. I wish that had carried over into 5th.

I think it's a perfectly workable system. I don't think 30 levels was the right approach, though. That's just too much, especially when they split up the game so that you got a bonus on one level and new powers on another. It led to the hugely inflated HP values, which ended up being it's own problem. I don't think the core books should ever have more than 20 levels. I don't think the lockstep bonuses worked well, either. In general, though, I'd rather have 5e's bounded accuracy and 4e's narrowed scope of abilities.

Essentials was on the right path, but WotC abandoned the game. I think they should revive it as another game. 5e and 4e offer totally different play styles. Why should WotC be happy players unsatisfied with 5e want to go to Pathfinder 2? Why not let them go to 4e and stay a WotC customer? They ought to have the money to do it now.

A 4e style TTRPG with 5e proficiency bonus, 4e monsters, 4e combat rules, 4e defenses and stats, no enhancement bonuses from magic items, abilities on cards, preferably a companion app. Limit it to 20 levels. Call it Heroes of The Forgotten Realms. Just don't call it AD&D. The worst idea would be to have that stupid "Advanced" argument from the 80s again.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Essentials was on the right path, but WotC abandoned the game. I think they should revive it as another game. 5e and 4e offer totally different play styles. Why should WotC be happy players unsatisfied with 5e want to go to Pathfinder 2? Why not let them go to 4e and stay a WotC customer? They ought to have the money to do it now.
Wizards really has no need to cater to players unsatisfied with 5e at this point at all. Much like they don't have much need to cater to CCG fans who are dissatisified with MtG. The pool of players that are satisfied with each game is so large and their brands so everpresent that trying to chase every last customer is a fool's errand. There should be customers for the rest of the industry.

That said, I wish they'd open up 4e to be supported on DM's Guild. I know they'll never go all the way of creating an OGL version of 4e to put out there and it's hobbled by the GSL as far as trying to do support for it. But at least saying "yes you can publish stuff for 4e on DM's Guild" would be a nice approach.

Yaarel

He Mage
@Bacon Bits

If the noncasters shut down at level 12, then level 13 is "epic". So this seems like the level casters should start gaining powerful spells.

That said, I agree,

Wish should be a "slot 10" spell, and probably every caster should get it, bending reality according to various flavors. Psion is mind over matter, Bard is words shape reality. Cleric is miraculous creation. Etcetera.

Giving noncasters spells via rituals and magic items sounds good.

Planeshift needs to be 2 slots lower.

Telepathy needs to be a slot 2 spell.

Legend Lore is merely something the History skill check can do. Glibness is the Deception skill check.

Redundant spells need a cleanup.

Generally high slot spells need a clean up.

Teleport Circle is like an airport and works fine, and once built, noncasters can use them too.

The reallife stories of visiting the dead in the underworld are simply places in the Material where the veil between it and Shadowfell are thin. It is like a negative Fey crossing. Noncasters can pass thru a Shadow crossing easily enough.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That said, I wish they'd open up 4e to be supported on DM's Guild. I know they'll never go all the way of creating an OGL version of 4e to put out there and it's hobbled by the GSL as far as trying to do support for it. But at least saying "yes you can publish stuff for 4e on DM's Guild" would be a nice approach.
Has it not been retrocloned by anybody? Seems like the sort of thing somebody would do.

Remove ads

Remove ads