• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dodkong minions

Cleon

Legend
Hmm...been thinking about this. Maybe just ditch rejuvenation as that is more in keeping with original storyline

Agreed.

It's easier to just drop the ability.

Updating the Enworld Dodkong

Let's see, what else is there…

Do we need to do any polishing to the Dread Counterspell before I add it?

I'm fine giving it Rock and Rock Bowling to honour the Dodkong's stone giant nature.

I'm tempted to throw in the Phantom Boulder of the Cleon Special Cairn Wraith, possibly including making it a Multiattack option as in:

Multiattack. The dodkong makes two shadow staff attacks or two rock attacks. It can use Freezing Death, Phantom Boulder or an at-will spell in place of one attack.​

Also, there's Legendary Actions.

You proposed the following:

Legendary -

Disrupt Life (Costs 3 Actions). Each non-undead creature within 20 feet of the dodkong must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw against this magic, taking 21 (6d6) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Frightening Gaze (Costs 2 Actions). The dodkong fixes its gaze on one creature it can see within 10 feet of it. The target must succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or become frightened for 1 minute. The frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a target’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the target is immune to the dodkong’s gaze for the next 24 hours.

Rend the Veil. The dodkong momentarily tears the veil between the material plane and the shadowfell, summoning a shadow under its control. The dodkong can have no more than twelve shadows under its control at one time. (maybe something beefier than a shadow?)

The first two are standard Lich powers that are fine.

The Rend the Veil be upgraded to summon specters since we've swapped those for shadows, but I think we should consider making that a 2 Action ability and making Frightening Gaze a single action ability.

Disrupt Life (Costs 3 Actions). Each non-undead creature within 20 feet of the dodkong must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw against this magic, taking 21 (6d6) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Frightening Gaze. The dodkong fixes its gaze on one creature it can see within 10 feet of it. The target must succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or become frightened for 1 minute. The frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a target’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the target is immune to the dodkong’s gaze for the next 24 hours.

Rend the Veil (Costs 2 Actions). The dodkong momentarily tears the veil between the material plane and the shadowfell, summoning a spectre under its control. The dodkong can have no more than twelve spectres under its control at one time.

I'd also add the following:

Detect. The dodkong either makes a Wisdom (Perception) check, casts detect magic, or casts scrying.​
And maybe consider adding:
Dispel (Costs 2 Actions). The dodkong casts dispel magic.​

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
all these look good (added detect and dispel to legendary actions too) - worth phantom boulder instead of standard rock throwing or as well as?

Cleon

Legend
I'd be fine giving it the standard giant's Rock ranged attack as well as Phantom Boulder plus I'd be game to throw in the Cairn's Rock Bowling just for giggles.

It would benefit from having an AoE line strike like Rock Bowling.

We'd need to figure out the appropriate damage, but that oughtn't be too difficult.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
ok - maybe 28 (4d10+6) psychic for phantom boulder?

rock - 28 (4d10 + 6) bludgeoning damage + 11 (2d10) necrotic damage?

(so both are a little weaker than melee attack?)

Rock bowling could also be 28 (4d10 + 6) bludgeoning damage + 11 (2d10) necrotic damage, but only once a round as total action economy?

Cleon

Legend
ok - maybe 28 (4d10+6) psychic for phantom boulder?

rock - 28 (4d10 + 6) bludgeoning damage + 11 (2d10) necrotic damage?

(so both are a little weaker than melee attack?)

Yes, I'd prefer them both to do less damage than the melee attacks.

Phantom Boulder kind of sort of a ranged version of Freezing Touch, which does 28 average damage but has a somewhat nastier special effect, so I think 4d10+6 damage is OK for that.

Having the Rock do 39 average damage feels slightly weedy to me. Its Shadow Staff does 52½.

Maybe have it add 4d6 necrotic like Freezing Touch for 42 average damage?

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, range 60/240 ft., one target. Hit: 28 (4d10 + 6) bludgeoning damage plus 14 (4d6) necrotic damage.​
Rock Bowling. The dodkong send a rock tumbling along the ground in a 60-foot line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save they fall prone and take 28 (4d10 + 6) bludgeoning damage plus 14 (4d6) necrotic damage, on a success they take no damage and remain standing.​

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
It seems off for the dodkong's Melee and Ranged attacks to be more accurate and higher DC than its Spell attacks.

How about increasing it to CHA 23 (+6) so it has parity on the to hit rolls and DCs?

Cleon

Legend
sounds good to me (CHA 23)

Will update. EDIT: Have updated the Dodkong Working Draft. :ENDEDIT

I'm wondering whether Phantom Boulder and Freezing Death should do a bit more damage. As long as they're both less than its Shadow Staff and maybe slightly less than its Rock shouldn't be that unbalancing.

If we use the above Rock proposal, that does 42 damage (4d10+6 bludgeoning plus 4d6 necrotic).

So how about having the Phantom Boulder do 39 (6d10 + 6) psychic damage and the Freezing Death do 21 (6d6) cold plus 14 (4d6) necrotic?

Last edited:

Remove ads