• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does an item to enhance Unarmed Strike exist?

Gwarok

Explorer
My monk player asked (reasonably) if there was any way he could get a magic item to boost his unarmed strike to-hit and damage like a magical weapon would. Essentially he wants a +1 weapon, but just for his hands.

Quickly glancing through the DMG magic items (which are horribly organized IMHO) I didn't see anything. Since he is gaining the bonus to hit AND damage, but not gaining anything from the "counts as a magic weapon" ability I let him purchase a custom made spiked glove affair from a dwarven craftsman for 600gp.

Does such an item actually exist and I missed it?

DS

There isn't any such item currently, but that is easily remedied with a wave or your DM magic wand(staff, sceptre, whatever), which it appears you already did. Not only have I included such a thing in my campaign, I even made one that Druids use when they shift into beast form that helps them out. Actually, only one druid has it, and he's an NPC. But still. I commend your assertive solution to the problem.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Holy Threadomancy Batman!

I don't even remember writing the original question, but rereading this thread reminds me that ENWorld is full of great idea and people behind them.

If anyone cares the monk in question was retired, and thus lived to the end of the campaign. He is currently wandering through time and space seeking enlightenment.

DS

I did not see one. Easy enough to add. Still pretty annoying playing a monk and not having one. I'm sure if it is designed by WotC it will require attunement for no good reason.

What is annoying is that there is not a single monk specific magic item in the game. I am pretty sure they are the only class that is ignored like this.

This is exactly what the rules tell us.

Why otherwise go to the trouble of making sure you can't combine Flurry and Monk Weapons...?

Why go through the trouble of making the Hand Crossbow a Light weapon when the Light property only has an effect on melee weapons? Why Why go through the trouble of making abilities like a Halfling's Naturally Stealthy, a Wood Elf's Mask of the Wild, and an ability of the Ranger literally named Hide in Plain Sight when the rules for stealth say, "You can't hide when someone knows where you are"? Why does Sneak Attack and progress without occupying the class ability slot, while other abilities like Indomitable, Brutal Critical, and Destroy Undead do? The rules are full of uneven designs and even outright design errors. Assuming that every rule is of equal quality or that what a rule tells you about design is both intentional and correct is foolish. My statement wasn't, "Is this really what the rule says?" it was, "This rule seems of dubious value and is probably safe to ignore."

Yeah, sure, if the Monk has a Sun Blade at level 4, it's kinda broken, but is it that corner case so broken and so common that you can't trust the DM? You have to similarly punish a level 11 Monk with a +2 dagger? Is it worth the rules burden of the extra condition?

Another example: Sage Advice has said that Crossbow Expert doesn't allow you to dual wield hand crossbows. Does that rule meaningfully reduce player damage? No. Will some players find it fun to go medieval and John Woo at the same time? Sure. Is this a restriction that's worth paying attention to? Probably not.

Another example: Martial artists using two weapons is pretty iconic of the genre. Is it broken to allow a Monk to use two Monk weapons at once without two weapon penalties? That seems unlikely, since a Monk can already do the same damage with just one weapon. Is it worth it to prevent your players from trying to do that? Absolutely not. The rule that detracts from the game by limiting player choice without limiting player power.

I wold have to go back and do an exhaustive search but I know for certain there are Paladin, Wizard, Cleric, Druid, Warlock, and Bard specific attunement items in the DMG.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any that are Cleric-only.

The main point being however that rather than Monks being the the only class to not have class-specific items, they are in fact one of over half of the classes that don't have class-specific items.

More to the issue at hand, why is having Monk-specific items a good thing?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any that are Cleric-only.

The main point being however that rather than Monks being the the only class to not have class-specific items, they are in fact one of over half of the classes that don't have class-specific items.

More to the issue at hand, why is having Monk-specific items a good thing?

First off I just mentioned the ones I remember off the top of my head. I did not state my list was exhaustive.

Second most class specific items are rather powerful items at that.

Third and finally, if Lenny gets a cookie then Joey deserves one too. I like balance and I do not like obvious reasons for people to not use a class.

First off I just mentioned the ones I remember off the top of my head. I did not state my list was exhaustive.
My apologies. I will be clearer: Of the classes you listed, I do not believe Clerics have any single-class-specific items. I also do not believe that there are any class-specific items for Barbarians, Fighters, Monks, Rangers, Rogues, or Sorcerors

Second most class specific items are rather powerful items at that.
And thus even less chance that they will ever actually appear in any given game.

Third and finally, if Lenny gets a cookie then Joey deserves one too. I like balance and I do not like obvious reasons for people to not use a class.
If the reason for using a class is that there exists a minute-but-potential chance that at some point near the end of a campaign (if it goes on for long enough) you may get a magical item that no-one else is allowed to use, then fair enough.
Its a pretty unusual reason though, so don't expect many others to share it.

If anything, of all the fighting classes, Monks are pretty much the least dependent upon magic items of them all. They already get magical damage and increased weapon damage built into the class, without having to rely on the luck of the treasure rolls or DM's whim as the others do.

Last edited:

Remove ads