D&D 5E Does anyone who got an mm at Gencon want to offer up spoilers to us?

Talath

Explorer
I saw from the monster by rc list that the demilich is cr 18 while the lich is 20/21(?). Is there any change to the demilich? Didn't it used to be more powerful than a lich?

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I saw from the monster by rc list that the demilich is cr 18 while the lich is 20/21(?). Is there any change to the demilich? Didn't it used to be more powerful than a lich?

This is one of the first things I noticed about the MM, and it may be my favorite change.

I was always confused why demiliches were more powerful liches. Now they aren't. They are liches who stopped feeding souls to their phylacteries and have withered away into shadows of the shadows of their former selves.

It is a break with tradition, but it is a break I, personally, find to be for the better.

Thaumaturge.

Quickleaf

Legend
So you could say a demilich gets a lot of head? ;)

Ahem, if I may interrupt the innuendo... I want to convert the yagnoloth, and I'm wondering what the common Yugoloth traits are in 5e?

EDIT: Oh, and is it true yugoloths are supposed to originate from Asmodeus and night hags now?

Thanks in advance mates!

Last edited:

Grazzt

Demon Lord

Ahem, if I may interrupt the innuendo... I want to convert the yagnoloth, and I'm wondering what the common Yugoloth traits are in 5e?

EDIT: Oh, and is it true yugoloths are supposed to originate from Asmodeus and night hags now?

Thanks in advance mates!

MM says "it is widely believed" that basically Asmodeus commissioned a group of night hags in Gehenna to create them. He wanted an army of fiends not bound to the Nine Hells.

Common traits (I didn't see them listed ala 3.x so I did a quick comparison of the four in the MM):

Damage Resistances = cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities = acid, poison
Condition Immunities = poisoned

All four in the MM have telepathy (to either 60 ft or 120 ft). All speak at least Abyssal and Infernal.

Traits
Innate spellcasting, magic resistance (advantage on saves against spells and magical effects), magic weapons (creature's weapon attacks are treated as magical).

Actions = Each one can teleport up to 60 feet.

Last edited:

Shemeska

Adventurer

Thanks in advance mates!

Somebody really, really, really likes Asmodeus I think.

It rather radically rewrites 'loth origins, without any mention of their mythology from 2e and 3e. It doesn't completely preclude adding in the baernaloths and the Heart of Darkness mythology later on, but it would be awkward. I'm genuinely surprised that they didn't even give a hint of the 2e material when it would have been very easy to do so.

While [MENTION=11697]Shemeska[/MENTION] and I often disagree on the value of sticking with old-edition lore, in this case I think we're very much on the same page. I really don't see the upside in tying Asmodeus into the Yugoloths' creation. Honestly, I think Asmodeus already has an unfair amount of focus/influence, as compared to other arch-fiends. He doesn't need any more, and the Yugoloths don't need to have been "devil lite."

But then, I'm also irked that the ultraloth is markedly less powerful than the balor and pit fiend, and that we got mention of the General of Gehenna--who's described as an extra-powerful ultraloth, nothing more unique--and we didn't get Anthraxus. (Who, if we're going back to 1e, was--by XP value--actually more dangerous than Demogorgon or Asmodeus.

But I'm not bitter. ;)

Last edited:

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
While @Shemeska and I often disagree on the value of sticking with old-edition lore, in this case I think we're very much on the same page. I really don't see the upside in tying Asmodeus into the Yugoloths' creation. Honestly, I think Asmodeus already has an unfair amount of focus/influence, as compared to other arch-fiends. He doesn't need any more, and the Yugoloths don't need to have been "devil lite."

But then, I'm also irked that the ultraloth is markedly less powerful than the balor and pit fiend, and that we got mention of the General of Gehenna--who's described as an extra-powerful ultraloth, nothing more unique--and we didn't get Anthraxus. (Who, if we're going back to 1e, was--by XP value--actually more dangerous than Demogorgon or Asmodeus.

But I'm not bitter. ;)

Yes, I will definitely be ignoring 5th Ed lore in many places, this is one of them, I go by Planescape/Guide to Hell for Asmodeus, and for Yugoloths, I want Anthraxus' to get back the Staff of the Lower Planes and become the Oinoloth again.

Bummer to hear that the ultroloth is the wimp of the triumvirate again, as they are in 3rd Ed (…13 Str…), I have already converted all the yugoloths (all the alignment exemplar races, archons, guardinals, rilmani, etc) to 5th Ed, I am interested to compare when I get my mitts on the MM.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases