Does Gith Blademaster apply to Holy Avengers?

N8Ball

Explorer
Of course it applies to weapon attacks with the Holy avenger.

But does it apply when using the holy avenger as an holy symbol?

Gith Blademaster does not specify that the feat bonus only applies to weapon attacks, and that would make sense for classes like Swordmages and Monks using a *heavy blade* as an implement...

So I guess that the nuance of my question:
When using an implement power as a cleric that is proficient with holy symbols as implements.... Does the fact that my holy symbol is also a heavy blade let me apply feats that apply to heavy blades (assuming those feats can apply to implement attacks in the first place). Can the sword simultaneously be a H.blade and a Holy Symbol for an implement attack?

Realizing of course that feat bonuses for the holy symbol and H.Blade will not stack.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

mneme

Explorer
N8Ball said:
So I guess that the nuance of my question:
When using an implement power as a cleric that is proficient with holy symbols as implements.... Does the fact that my holy symbol is also a heavy blade let me apply feats that apply to heavy blades (assuming those feats can apply to implement attacks in the first place). Can the sword simultaneously be a H.blade and a Holy Symbol for an implement attack?

Yep.

Dwarves who can use Axes or hammers as an implement can apply the bonus from DWP. Gith Blademasters can use the damage bonus with any bastard sword, martial heavy blade, or fullblade they can use as an implement -- including a Holy Avenger. They can even combine Holy Symbol Expertise with Gith Blademaster, as it's a holy symbol and an appropriate Heavy Blade.

Mengu

First Post
Yes, the racial feat bonuses apply both to weapon and implement attacks, unlike the updated weapon focus, which gives the proverbial middle finger to anyone who uses a weapon as both a weapon and an implement like the swordmage. No, I'm not bitter or anything.

mneme

Explorer
Mengu: Indeed. The problem was, they solved (most variants of) a persistent problem in that weapons used as implements were generally better than implements used as implements. Except...that they solved the wrong problem. The problem wasn't the ability of weapliments to double-dip with Weapon Focus, but the non-existence of Implement Focus.

I mean, I guess one could have included "the superiority of weapon focus over implement focus", but it's really a non-issue, just like the superiority of Versitile Expertise (prior to the new expertise feats) over Weapon Expertise -- it's only superior if you're already being taxed, otherwise it's the same.

Of course, with the right stats, you can handle the double focus issue by going Frostcheese (or some element) and taking the element-specifc feat damage bonus.

Remove ads