• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does moving a spell effect provoke opportunity attacks?

pemerton

Legend
Nullzone, with the Supreme Court examle they did what a court does when its member disagree - put it to the vote.

In the case of D&D, though, we don't have an authoritative tribunal. So while I agree with you that discussion is worthwhile, for getting a better handle on what the rule is for and why it is written as it is (which might include working out why it is badly written!), I think the quest for certainty, or the insistence by some (not necessarily you!) that there is (always?) a definite or unarguable answer, is mistaken.

DracoSuave

First Post
Nullzone, with the Supreme Court examle they did what a court does when its member disagree - put it to the vote.

In the case of D&D, though, we don't have an authoritative tribunal. So while I agree with you that discussion is worthwhile, for getting a better handle on what the rule is for and why it is written as it is (which might include working out why it is badly written!), I think the quest for certainty, or the insistence by some (not necessarily you!) that there is (always?) a definite or unarguable answer, is mistaken.

Sometimes, however, sometimes there's 'interpretations' that simply ignore what the rules say. In a debate about what the rules say, this is an irrational argument, and should be avoided in fair debate and critical thinking.

Of course, tho I don't always say it, there's always a caveat that a DM should run things as he sees fit. I certainly do, and I personally don't go by RAW-IS-LAW when I run games. If I don't like something I change it, or what have you.

However... I try to keep to RAW in discussions about RAW. How anyone personally runs it is a different discussion.

pemerton

Legend
DracoSuave, if by "not ignoring what the rules say" you mean paying attention to the actual words used, then I agree.

If, though, you are suggesting that there is such a thing as "what the rules say" which can be identified indpedently of the context provided by other rules, by the purpose for which the rules are to be used, by the intentions that the authors possessed and that are clearly evident in what they have written, etc, then I disagree.

I believe it is a mistake to regard the rules of a game like D&D to be as robust under interpretation as the law, given the tremendous disparity in resources and effort devoted to the drafting, interpretation and adjudication of each. Given this, and given that the notion of a context-and-intention idependent RAW does no work in the law (other than to draw our attention to the actual words used in the legal text in question), I think the same is true of the rules in D&D.

If this means that "the rules" are unstable - that different players have their own best conception of what it is that the rules require - well, that's life. In the absence of an authoritative tribunal, that's what will happen!

In such circumstances, it is quite legitimate - desirable, even - for one person to point out if another person appears to have overlooked a relevant piece of text. It is also quite legitimate, although sometimes perhaps less desirable, for one person to debate interpretations with another, and to explain what reasons s/he takes to favour his or her reading.

But for person A to describe person B's departure from A's favoured reading as a departure from RAW, in circumstances where B just as much as A has made a diligent attempt to interpret the text in light of relevant constraints upon interpretation, is in my view going a bit far. That's a legitimate tactic in litigation - there's a lot at stake, after all, and rhetorical tricks are one way of trying to win. And there's also an authoritative arbiter - the court - to whom one is trying to present the cogency of one's own reasons ahead of the reasons being offered by the other side.

But on a D&D messageboard there's not a lot at stake, and there's no independent arbiter whom we're trying to persuade.

Better, then, in my view, for people to explain in an intelligent but pleasant fashion what reasons they see as supporting their interpretation - which may well include not just elements of the text, but the play experience that it delivers - and for others to respond to such explanations in a similarly intelligent and pleasant fashion!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads