Does my paladin have any chance against monsters that grab?

keterys

First Post
Yeah, your AC is off by about 5 of what it should be, and your other defenses about 3. Ie, since you should have +3 armor/neck, totally ignoring any theories about math drift that are often discussed. That's just going to get even more rude as time goes on. Hopefully your DM is throwing lower level monsters (ie, like level 8-12 instead of 11-14) against you guys.

Destil

Explorer
Yeah, your AC is off by about 5 of what it should be, and your other defenses about 3. Ie, since you should have +3 armor/neck, totally ignoring any theories about math drift that are often discussed. That's just going to get even more rude as time goes on. Hopefully your DM is throwing lower level monsters (ie, like level 8-12 instead of 11-14) against you guys.
Grey render was a level 19 brute with lowered defenses (so we could hit) and no other changes, though we only had 3 party members this session... I was eating about a surges and a half of damage a round while grabbed, and lost about 1/2 my hitpoints in a particularly vicious round. "You're hit for... 53 damage total." "And I gain 4 temp HP!" I don't think it was possible for it to miss me on a roll of a two, unsure of that point.

The healing from my paragon path mark prevented about 80% of the damage to my allies, though.

The group is large (7 players if everyone shows up) has some good optimizers, and even our least-optimal character (eladrin shielding cleric with 16 starting Wis. His healing words alone make him useful) is pretty damn effective. Our sorcerer is doing 40-50 damage with burning spray on a good round, we've reduced a solo 6 levels above us's possible damage output to a max of 6 damage a round (causing it to kill itself, I didn't have the heart to point out that was basically impossible with the cupe de grace rules). Sometimes we run into normalish things for our level, and we tend to tear them apart. But the heavy armor AC is really getting to be a sticking point, I'll have to bring up the lack of masterwork bonuses this week.

Last edited:

WOLead

First Post
As mentioned, your defenses are unfavorable due to the DM not giving you at least the benefits of the expected minimum bonuses from the level equivalent magic items. Then going and throwing an 8+ monster at you...yeah, even a 1 may still have hit at that point unless the DM ruled that 1s are always a miss/failure.

Anyways, on to how to escape grabs in a Cha/Wis Paladin?

MC Warlock, take Acolyte Power, and swap your Level 10 Utility for Ethereal Sidestep. Teleport 1 is all you'll need.

Cadfan

First Post
Our paladin has a magic item that lets her teleport a certain number of spaces per day, divided up as she pleases. This means one space teleports whenever she's grabbed.

Destil

Explorer
MC Warlock, take Acolyte Power, and swap your Level 10 Utility for Ethereal Sidestep. Teleport 1 is all you'll need.

Not sure if it's a house rule because it's how we always play it, but in this game you actually need to get out of the grabber's reach, so teleport/slide 1 won't always do it (ran into this yesterday). The DM's sane enough to let me 'attack the arm' of the creature as it holds me outside my normal reach, at least.

hero4hire

Explorer
Not sure if it's a house rule because it's how we always play it, but in this game you actually need to get out of the grabber's reach, so teleport/slide 1 won't always do it (ran into this yesterday). The DM's sane enough to let me 'attack the arm' of the creature as it holds me outside my normal reach, at least.

PHB page 286 (emphasis mine)
Immobilized: Being immobilized doesn’t prevent
you from teleporting. If you were immobilized
because of a physical effect, such as a creature grabbing
you, you can teleport away and are no longer
immobilized
or restrained, if applicable. If you were
immobilized because of an effect on your mind or
body, teleporting does not end that effect; you’re still
immobilized when you reach your destination.

So yeah it's a house rule.

keterys

First Post
And just for completeness:
If a pull, a push, or a slide moves you or the creature you’re grabbing out of your reach, the grab ends. (PH290)

Remove ads