D&D General Does The D&D Movie Poster Feature Pathfinder Artwork?

The Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves movie poster was previewed today. It was created by an artist called Bosslogic, and features an ampersand containing various pieces of D&D monster art. The poster was on display at San Diego Comic Con as part of the official D&D movie promotional event. However, one part of the poster appears to be Pathfinder's depiction of an intellect devourer. Is...

The Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves movie poster was previewed today. It was created by an artist called Bosslogic, and features an ampersand containing various pieces of D&D monster art. The poster was on display at San Diego Comic Con as part of the official D&D movie promotional event.

However, one part of the poster appears to be Pathfinder's depiction of an intellect devourer. Is this the same art piece?

poster.jpeg

paizo_devourer.png

Paizo's Pathfinder 2 Bestiary (thanks to @Ir'revrykal for the pic)

It certainly looks like the same piece of art.

Now, the intellect devourer is a D&D monster which appeared way back in 1976, and has appeared in every edition of D&D since. Why does Pathfinder have artwork of one? Well, the creature was first released as Open Gaming Content 20 years ago under the Open Gaming License. Since then, other companies have used the monster, or created their own versions of it -- including Paizo in the Pathfinder RPG. The name and the stat blocks (including the Pathfinder version) are free to use.

The art? Not so much. Art commissioned by Paizo to illustrate its Bestiaries is not Open Gaming Content. While art can be OGC (nowhere in the OGL is the actual subject matter defined -- you can make any of your work OGC and available for use by others, from sheet music to 3D spaceship models), companies rarely designate it as so, and Paizo's intellect devourer art is no exception.

However, the 'open gaming license' tangent is a red herring. It's unlikely that Paramount was thinking in terms of open source TTRPG game rules when it made the poster, and this poster is not released using the OGL, so its terms are not relevant to it. More likely, somebody just assumed that that piece of art was created by WotC, not Paizo. The 'OGL' part of this conversation simply explains why Paizo has a version of the creature too, and why Paizo therefore commissioned art for their version.

For comparison, here is the D&D 5E version of the intellect devourer—presumably the piece of art that should have been used.

C21BED96-2003-456D-9664-40E94A3F20D1.jpeg

It's not the first time mistakes like this have happened. Back in 2018 Old Spice released a D&D class called The Gentleman... except that it was actually a Pathfinder class!

When it comes down to it, this is almost certainly just a simple mistake--a contracted artist, not as versed in TTRPGs as many people reading this, simply didn't realise that other companies could or had made their own versions of the creature, and used the one which fitted the space. Nothing to get upset about, and the companies will likely have a quick phone call and the matter will be settled.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It been featured by mainstream outlets (such as The Hollywood Reporter, where I saw it first). Additionally, it was physically on display at the 'Tavern Experience' at SDCC which promoted the movie. They're using it. The artist, Bosslogic, was also there and was actually part of the experience, being installed behind the bar in the tavern as part of the OGN interview set up by Paramount. It's not a fan poster. It's probably going to quietly disappear, but it's not a fan poster.
If the artist is BossLogic confirmed, then you've also answered the question. BossLogic (Kode) makes fan posters Morrus. That's what he does. He's famous for it. If BossLogic made that poster, it's likely one of a kind. They probably just think it's awesome.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If the artist is BossLogic confirmed, then you've also answered the question. BossLogic (Kode) makes fan posters Morrus. That's what he does. He's famous for it. If BossLogic made that poster, it's likely one of a kind. They probably just think it's awesome.
I know you're doing that thing that you do, and there's no way you'll let this go, but it's not a 'one of a kind', Bosslogic has confirmed that it was a commission, and there turned out to be an issue with the art assets provided meaning they had to be removed. I know you really really want to be right, but this wasn't a fan poster. It was a promotional asset used at the show. There were lots of them, and some people have them (before they were withdrawn).

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.09.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.07.39 PM.png

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I know you're doing that thing that you do, and there's no way you'll let this go, but it's not a 'one of a kind', Bosslogic has confirmed that it was a commission, and there turned out to be an issue with the art assets provided meaning they had to be removed. I know you really really want to be right, but this wasn't a fan poster. It was a promotional asset used at the show. There were lots of them, and some people have them (before they were withdrawn).

View attachment 254774

View attachment 254773
Ah fair enough. But no reason to be rude with that "thing you do" thing, I was just trying to clarify as best I could. Shoot I even stepped out of my comfort zone and asked someone in the industry if they could clarify things. What's with making it personal when it wasn't?

Alby87

Adventurer
In this episode of "Pawn Stars" season 49.
"I have this D&D movie poster"
"You know this one can worth more money that you can image?"

Edit: Paul you ninjaed me by two minutes 🤣

Remove ads

Remove ads