D&D General Don't Believe EVERYTHING concerning WOTC and D&D

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
While clicking on anti-WOTC or anti-D&D social media posts is appealing, remember that algorithms are encouraged by engagement, and negativity feeds better than positivity. Those with popular social media channels know this, which is why it’s in their best interest to feed this narrative.

Now, I am not saying they’re all creating clickbait from untrustworthy sources, but unfortunately, I’m starting to believe a few are.

I support the #OpenDND movement and the push for a corporate-agnostic OGL, but just because these videos and posts encourage an opinion you’re currently supporting doesn’t mean they are channeling the truth.

Consider these points.

Is the social media personality posting updates remarkably fast in response to official posts?

Is the social media personality creating headlines that resemble clickbait?

Is the social media personality a publisher or engaged with a publisher producing a competing game?

And yes, this includes questioning the motivations of posts I make on social media as well. I, too, shared clickbait videos, but given the deluge and the speed at which these “leaks” appear of late, I am starting to get concerned.

Social media engages people with anecdotes they like, not necessarily the truth. Like everything, take it with a grain of salt and engage in a healthy level of skepticism.

They are liars. They're not even any good at it. They have no shame and still are lying and gaslighting as they try to APPEAR all contrite and sorrowful. They back off dubious claims about what "deauthorizing" the 1.0a OGL, but they still waver not an inch in wanting to bring it to a screeching halt as they rewrite the OGL solely for their own benefit when that is not what it was ever created for.

NOTHING they say can be trusted at this point and it would be INSANELY foolish to believe they have done a complete 180 as they WANT you to believe. Trust is EARNED and they are now starting from ZERO because they blew any trust they had or are entitled to. "We're sorry anybody caught on to the unmitigated crap we were perpetrating and got righteously angry about it. Now calm down while we change our plans to make it even more difficult to see how we're totally screwing everyone - including our customers." Nope. LET THEM BURN.

Clint_L

Hero
Okay...so why even post about it if "LET THEM BURN" is your conclusion? Where does the situation go from there? If you're done, then be done, and bless.

But actual 3PP don't have that luxury. They need to figure out what the path is going forward, and a torrent of spin from WotC and misinformation and vitriol from all over the internet is not going to help that process forward for them, or for those of us who aren't going to walk away from decades invested in this game because of this situation. We want to fix things.

While it's fairly certain all the accusations are not true, the untrue parts are just a side-show in a public reckoning that is richly deserved. All the ire, both founded and unfounded in real facts, is something WotC has brought upon themselves, through arrogant hubris, compounded by foolish dithering and inaction.

So I don't feel bad if some of the anger directed at WotC is for things that aren't real. All of it is deserved. And however confused the angry public is about the actual facts, the WotC executives at the heart of this are more confused about their product, their brand, and the relationship of both with their customers, and the sooner this all blows over the less likely they are to face repercussions or learn the errors of their ways. If some made up accusations help keep the pressure on it could well prove to be for the best.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
While it's fairly certain all the accusations are not true, the untrue parts are just a side-show in a public reckoning that is richly deserved. All the ire, both founded and unfounded in real facts, is something WotC has brought upon themselves, through arrogant hubris, compounded by foolish dithering and inaction.

So I don't feel bad if some of the anger directed at WotC is for things that aren't real. All of it is deserved. And however confused the angry public is about the actual facts, the WotC executives at the heart of this are more confused about their product, their brand, and the relationship of both with their customers, and the sooner this all blows over the less likely they are to face repercussions or learn the errors of their ways. If some made up accusations help keep the pressure on it could well prove to be for the best.
Yeah, the only voices that Hasbro really cares about are those of its major shareholders. The more this story breaks containment and causes negative noise, the more it affects the stock price. Once that happens strongly and for a somewhat sustained duration the shareholders will agitate and what they're doing here will not be deemed worth it anymore.

In that sense, cynically, even untrue rumors and speculation that get people engaged are good for us. I'm not really advocating for that, per se, but I also don't feel bad for Hasbro, you know?

'Action without a plan' as a plan... not sure that often ends well.

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
Okay...so why even post about it if "LET THEM BURN" is your conclusion? Where does the situation go from there? If you're done, then be done, and bless.

But actual 3PP don't have that luxury. They need to figure out what the path is going forward, and a torrent of spin from WotC and misinformation and vitriol from all over the internet is not going to help that process forward for them, or for those of us who aren't going to walk away from decades invested in this game because of this situation. We want to fix things.
Thanks. My thoughts exactly.

In that sense, cynically, even untrue rumors and speculation that get people engaged are good for us. I'm not really advocating for that, per se, but I also don't feel bad for Hasbro, you know?
Yeah. To clarify, I'm not encouraging people to believe nonsense. I just believe the resulting chaos may not be the worst thing in this instance, and have no pity for the target of the nonsense.

Remove ads