• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Don't Throw 5e Away Because of Hasbro

CapnZapp

Legend
If you enjoy 5e but you’re done with Hasbro or WOTC or the D&D brand, this message is for you.

5e isn’t D&D.
While I commend your attitude, aren't you a bit naive?

Any 5E related (commercial) activity is going to benefit the publisher of this game.

Personally I also think you underestimate the ability of consumers to ignore their distaste for companies and keep buying their products.

While I don't generally indulge in whataboutism WotC certainly is no Nestlé or Monsanto. Their kind of corporate greed is relatively inoffensive in the grand scheme of things.

Just to say you can hate WotCs stunts with the OGL and still play and buy the new 2024 edition of D&D, no need to mentally contort yourself into thinking "D&D isn't WotC".

D&D isn't WotC, sure. But this distinction probably isn't nearly as important to many people as you might assume...

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I suspect that in the Venn diagram of those that profess considerable angst over nomenclature and those that do not actually play dnd overlap considerably.
I don't think that having such a preference suggests that you don't actually play the game.
I do think that it's rude to trivialize folks' opinions like that.

I'd prefer it if WotC distinguished the names between the 2014 and 2024 books.
I run ~5 games/week.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
I've been out of it for a minute, but since @SlyFlourish and other's preferred nomenclature for the upcoming release is "D&D 2024," is that changed now that the revision is spread out across 2024-25? Do we keep calling it 2024 when other supplements are released in 2026, etc.? Like are we going to keep referring to it with a date in the past so it continuously shows its age?
(Again, this is why calling it "5.5, 6e, 5e Revised" or literally anything else would've been preferable.)
I'm planning to still call it D&D 2024. Close enough not to matter unlike calling it 5.5 which doesn't make any sense since there are now many core 5e games and more to come.

Hussar

Legend
I don't think that having such a preference suggests that you don't actually play the game.
I do think that it's rude to trivialize folks' opinions like that.

I'd prefer it if WotC distinguished the names between the 2014 and 2024 books.
I run ~5 games/week.
I trivialize it because it's trivial. It really, really doesn't matter. Angst over what the precise name of a game is, is the definition of a trivial concern.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Just to say you can hate WotCs stunts with the OGL and still play and buy the new 2024 edition of D&D, no need to mentally contort yourself into thinking "D&D isn't WotC".
This hasn't been presented by SlyFlourish at all.
What he has done is say that after all of WotC's stunts he's going to play Level Up, Tales of the Valiant and other 5e games, because he can play 5e without WotC.
There's no contortion needed.

Remove ads