D&D 5E Double weapons in 5e and possibly TWF with them

CTurbo

Explorer
4e allowed a character to use TWF with a singe double weapon, and I know 5e has done away with double weapons completely, but the quarterstaff still exists and could very much be considered a double weapon. Do you think it would be reasonable to allow a Ranger to use a staff with TWF? I'm thinking each end would deal 1d6 damage so it would be the same as holding two short swords. I wouldn't allow the versatile property to coexist with TWF of course so no 1d8 + 1d8 unless perhaps they invest in the Dual Wielder feat. Otherwise, it would have to be one or the other. Or would it be better to have the main hand end do 1d8 and the off hand end do 1d4? That would benefit multiple attacks. I like the flavor of fighting with a staff.

Many of the double weapons are silly, but I actually like the Urgrosh. I wish it could fit in in 5e somehow. I know it's pretty much the Polearm master Feat but it doesn't have reach.

Lehrbuch

First Post
Do you think it would be reasonable to allow a Ranger to use a staff with TWF? I'm thinking each end would deal 1d6 damage so it would be the same as holding two short swords.

I would say that the general assumption is that someone proficient attacking with a quarterstaff is actually attacking with both ends. Because that is how you use a quarterstaff proficiently. It is just that this is normally represented in the game mechanics as a single attack roll.

If you want to represent an individual character who is especially swift and skilled with the quarterstaff, and so gets an actual attack with each end: then (as you say) the Polearm Master Feat does what you want.

Shiroiken

Legend
If you wanted to reintroduce double weapons (I'd leave the staff out of it for now), you should make them and give them the "Double" Property.

Double - this weapon can cause damage from either end. Each end is considered a light weapon while you wield this weapon with both hands.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I would say that the general assumption is that someone proficient attacking with a quarterstaff is actually attacking with both ends. Because that is how you use a quarterstaff proficiently. It is just that this is normally represented in the game mechanics as a single attack roll.

If you want to represent an individual character who is especially swift and skilled with the quarterstaff, and so gets an actual attack with each end: then (as you say) the Polearm Master Feat does what you want.

This is pretty much it. People are too tied to the idea that one roll equals one swing of a sword or using one end of a staff. That single roll with a staff is a few jabs and swings boiled down to one roll, unless you think it takes 6 seconds to make a melee attack.

Shiroiken

Legend
This is pretty much it. People are too tied to the idea that one roll equals one swing of a sword or using one end of a staff. That single roll with a staff is a few jabs and swings boiled down to one roll, unless you think it takes 6 seconds to make a melee attack.
Well, it's 6 seconds to attack, move, interact with an object, maybe take a bonus action, AND dodge all incoming attacks, so it's more reasonable than you might think. The notion of many feints and non-damaging attacks made a lot more sense in AD&D when a round was 1 minute.

Horwath

Legend
I would have them as martial weapons.

Both ends deal 1d6 damage and considered light.
it gives +1 bonus to AC when you use the weapon.

ability bonus to off hand damage via fighting style as normal.

Dual wielder feat gives +1 AC in addition to weapon original bonus and boosts damage die to 1d8 on each side.

I would have them as martial weapons.

Both ends deal 1d6 damage and considered light.
it gives +1 bonus to AC when you use the weapon.

ability bonus to off hand damage via fighting style as normal.

Dual wielder feat gives +1 AC in addition to weapon original bonus and boosts damage die to 1d8 on each side.

A bit too much. Just +1 AC over dual longswords or shortswords.

Fanaelialae

Legend
4e allowed a character to use TWF with a singe double weapon, and I know 5e has done away with double weapons completely, but the quarterstaff still exists and could very much be considered a double weapon. Do you think it would be reasonable to allow a Ranger to use a staff with TWF? I'm thinking each end would deal 1d6 damage so it would be the same as holding two short swords. I wouldn't allow the versatile property to coexist with TWF of course so no 1d8 + 1d8 unless perhaps they invest in the Dual Wielder feat. Otherwise, it would have to be one or the other. Or would it be better to have the main hand end do 1d8 and the off hand end do 1d4? That would benefit multiple attacks. I like the flavor of fighting with a staff.

Many of the double weapons are silly, but I actually like the Urgrosh. I wish it could fit in in 5e somehow. I know it's pretty much the Polearm master Feat but it doesn't have reach.

I think your idea is fine, at least with respect to the Quarterstaff. As you said, it confers no real advantage over fighting with two short swords. If the character took DW I'd allow them to deal 1d8, since it's no better than using two long swords.

Fanaelialae

Legend
FWIW, IMC I added the following feat to make it possible:

Staff Master
When wielding a staff, you may treat it as having the finesse property.
When wielding a staff, it gains the reach property.
When wielding a staff with both hands, you may treat it as two separate 1d6 weapons with the light property, or two separate 1d8 weapons without the light property (the Dual Wielder feat is required for the latter).

It's a decent option for a dexterity based warrior who wants to use a quarterstaff, although for strength based characters Polearm Master is arguably superior.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases