Download the Terminator QuickStart!

In The Terminator RPG Quick Start, each player assumes the role of a Resistance Fighter. This document contains seven pre-made fighters for players to use which can be found at the end of the book.
The game will include rules and scenarios to play in both the future and the ‘present’ day of the movie, as well as the ability to play in any other time point the Director wishes to use. It will include mechanics to allow time travel and will explore all the different Terminators, enemy types and characters seen in the movie and comic books.

A Kickstarter campaign will be launched in early 2021.

BDB7AF21-1BC3-477C-8431-EB3550DB983D.jpeg

E7EEA35A-FE81-41A7-B899-5FAFAC478029.jpeg

Last edited:

Sure, but here we have nothing new and literally nothing appealing apart from the IP, what could attract 2021 fresh gamer. And honstly nowadays this IP is known rather from poor series and B-movie remakes than anything else..
Only for nostalgia fans and peeps who had been living under the rock for 30 years...
But well, seeing how poorly done was the new Stargate RPG and how it went on the Kickstarter - probably it is always ok for the publisher to try doing it low effort - big money grab.

PS. Warhammer 4th edition had a very nice rework of its old mechanics, removing much rust and staying compatible more or less with the older editions.
I'm not saying it should follow PbtA path, but at least t r y to show us that they made any effort making this game looking something suitable for 21 century gaming...

The '2021 fresh gamer'? Isn't that just the same gamers from every year prior to 2021 with a big dose of weirdly placed elitism?

The big sellers in are hobby are games ranging from 20 to 45 years old, and those which are newer are not breaking much structural or conceptual ground.

21st century gaming is simply 20th century gaming with more computers and a bleaker real world outlook.

As for this game in specific, it has a vastly superior layout compared to most cluttered 5e products. It does some interesting things with weapon design and computer hacking, and crunch has never gone out of style in the groups I'm personally familiar with.

Translation: "I don't buy many new games". Because that's utter nonsense, as a five-minute perusal of Kickstarter would reveal.

Not at all. There's some new settings, but most are simply copies of more successful media, and very few break any systematic ground. Damage falls into the same two or three bland categories, character creation and development remain largely the same. A couple throw in cards, or new charts, or go GM-less, but there's very little new ground being trod.

Its just endless minor tweaks and 'expansions' to what has been already been done. The hobby is following the path of empires: the age of dynamic expansion and innovation has passed; we are now in the age of organized maintenance and status quo of what the first age won.

There's some hope; a few indies, mainly out of Europe, are showing signs of actually breaking new ground.

5e is the classic example: WOTC stuck to the same old same old. Just like Hollywood, cranking out sequels and spin-offs.

Last edited:

imagineGod

Legend
Not to go off-topic, but many mobile phones, including the iPhone have not broken new ground for over five years now, but still sell to millions of new buyers.

And D&D 5th Edition is using the d20 OGL strategy of 3rd Edition to encourage third parties to design more 5th Edition clone-Ike games, cue the new Stargate RPG. And yes, the market is still jot saturated as the thousands who backed Stargate attest versus a truly innovative game like the Nibiru RPG Kickstarter. Even Old School Essentials an OSR retro lone has fielded multiple successful Kickstarters. So repeating what works is still sound business sense. Breaking new ground is cool too. Neither need be exclusive in design.

My opinion is a lot of players are too "lazy" to learn new game systems, and more when they are games with a lot of crunch part. When players have chosen what is their favorite system, and after learning a couple more, new systems aren't very welcome.

Other matter is new franchises with an "exotic touch" usually are welcome by the fandom, but others would rather to start with totally known IPs with a relatively poor lore. Let's guess the number of role players who would rather to start with a famous franchise instead starting from zero and to learn not only the rules, but also the metaplot.

KFC

Villager
As for this game in specific, it has a vastly superior layout compared to most cluttered 5e products. It does some interesting things with weapon design and computer hacking, and crunch has never gone out of style in the groups I'm personally familiar with.
For me layout is looking dated like from 2000 product put in a text editor.
Actually I was referring to the hacking particularily - it is not a novelty - it is an example of a bad game design from the past.
Those "puzzles" involving only a hacker who is solving kind of Man, Don't Get Angry mini game is not fun, fast nor exciting to him or to the whole group.
Maybe in 1990 when CP2020 was released it was a fun novelty. But now even Mr Pondsmith in Cyberpunk RED got rid of it and a hacking is only a one or a few tests at all.
I get it, some groups just like it - but still for me game in 2021 should show us something more than repacked, not very fresh ideas from 1990.

Last edited:

For me layout is looking dated like from 2000 product put in a text editor.
Actually I was referring to the hacking particularily - it is not a novelty - it is an example of a bad game design from the past.
Those "puzzles" involving only a hacker who is solving kind of Man, Don't Get Angry mini game is not fun, fast nor exciting to him or to the whole group.
Maybe in 1990 when CP2020 was released it was a fun novelty. But now even Mr Pondsmith in Cyberpunk RED got rid of it and a hacking is only a one or a few tests at all.
I get it, some groups just like it - but still for me game in 2021 should show us something more than repacked, not very fresh ideas from 1990.

Fresh ideas are thin on the ground these days. The golden era where giants like Gygax were breaking new ground left and right are over. Now its just re-warmed 'new editions' and endless splatbooks with 'more classes, spells, and monsters!'

2021 is a time of conformity, and of playing it safe.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases