Download the Terminator QuickStart!

In The Terminator RPG Quick Start, each player assumes the role of a Resistance Fighter. This document contains seven pre-made fighters for players to use which can be found at the end of the book. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/341238 The game will include rules and scenarios to play in both the future and the ‘present’ day of the movie, as well as the ability to play in any other...

In The Terminator RPG Quick Start, each player assumes the role of a Resistance Fighter. This document contains seven pre-made fighters for players to use which can be found at the end of the book.
The game will include rules and scenarios to play in both the future and the ‘present’ day of the movie, as well as the ability to play in any other time point the Director wishes to use. It will include mechanics to allow time travel and will explore all the different Terminators, enemy types and characters seen in the movie and comic books.

A Kickstarter campaign will be launched in early 2021.

BDB7AF21-1BC3-477C-8431-EB3550DB983D.jpeg

E7EEA35A-FE81-41A7-B899-5FAFAC478029.jpeg

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. The key is the definition of 'innovative' I think.

5e spinoffs keep your corporate jet fueled, so obviously you have a very good reason to see things differently than a guy who just enjoys a hobby.
Yeah, because game designers/developers are rolling in the money. It is known. /s

Yeah, because game designers/developers are rolling in the money. It is known. /s

I did not mean that literally. I was pointing out that a someone whose success is based upon certain concepts will always view those concepts in a favorable light. It is sometimes called historic bias.

[Sidebar into primary hobby] It is a particularly dangerous viewpoint in the military, where nations who won their last conflict tend to prepare along the lines of what worked last time. This is particularly evident in WW2 in the spring of 1940, although history is littered with examples. [End sidebar]

In business, however, historic bias in established fields is generally the best course. In the US, you often hear the phrase 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' applied in these situations.

Last edited:

Ulfgeir

Hero
A guy* on a chat for a Swedish rpg-site gave a review of the quickstart yesterday (well, in the middle of the night) of this game. Everyone on the chat was "Hang on, they did what? Why the hell make this so needlessly complicated..." That is of course assuming his review was accurate.

I don't mind crunchy games, but this seemed just plain weird. Almost makes me want to download it to doublecheck.

*That guy have made a number of games himself that has gotten published in Swedish, and I have proofread some of them. He likes as minimal rules as he can get away with, claiming he has trouble remember the rules to his own games sometimes. Would I play his games; hmm, probably not.

Waller

Legend
A guy* on a chat for a Swedish rpg-site gave a review of the quickstart yesterday (well, in the middle of the night) of this game. Everyone on the chat was "Hang on, they did what? Why the hell make this so needlessly complicated..." That is of course assuming his review was accurate.

I don't mind crunchy games, but this seemed just plain weird. Almost makes me want to download it to doublecheck.
I’d be more interested in your opinion than that of ‘a guy’.

Ulfgeir

Hero
I’d be more interested in your opinion than that of ‘a guy’.
I took a quick look to see if it was as bad as he made it appear. Let's put it this way, it is not exactly a quick and streamlined game imo. You have info on what the stats and sklills do, and how high these may be from start, but nothing on how to calculate them, nor any explanations of how the token characters are made..

When you want to do something, you first check if it is a passive or active skill use. Passive ones are autosuccesses if certain conditions are met, and the character is not under duress (for example combat).

For active sskill uses: You rolled 1 die+attribute+skill value against a target number to determine if you suceed or not. But then you also roll skill +1 number of dice (with the same modifiers as above), to determine the degree of success/failure.. No mention of why the +1. And then you can sacrifice part of your FATE-attribute to either reroll the success-die, or any of the skill-dice, or add +1 to the result of the success-die per die you sacrifice from the attribute.

If you are affected by fear, then you lose 1 skill-dice success on your tests, so you can no longer succeed as well. Fear will also start lowering other attributes.

In combat, the one with the lowest initative tells what action they are going to perform first. The resolution of these actions then starts in reverse order with the highest. Yes, makes sense that the quicker persons may react to what slower ones are doing, but it does slow down things. When you roll for attacks you use a static target number of 10. You can at least in close combat hold back skill-dice to reduce the opponents roll by 1 per die. Armour will reduce the dame you take, but the attack might destroy the armour before you check how much it protects you.

The quickstart makes references that damages to limbs will be affected of margins of success, but the table being referred to instead shows how much more damage will be dealt based upon the strength of the user...

Hacking uses it own little boardgame. It says you should mark captured nodes with "t" and "s", without specifying why, or what these letters stand for. If you fail even once in a node, expect things to very quickly become totally useless.

A lot of this system seems to be inspired by old 1e version of Shadowrun, but even worse in some regards.

MarkR

Villager
Just read it. And it made my head hurt. I have from this quickstart no wish to play it. It was not my cup of tea at all.

Or did you refer to 1e Shadowrun? That one I used to GM... ;)
fair enough! Although I tend to prefer opinions from those that have played a game. The system is not complicated.

I won’t comment on my view of Shadowrun, having only read it! ;)

Ulfgeir

Hero
fair enough! Although I tend to prefer opinions from those that have played a game. The system is not complicated.

I won’t comment on my view of Shadowrun, having only read it! ;)
Shadowrun had a wonderful sewtting, but the rule-system left a lot to be desired. And the rules for certain things (magic, and hacking specifically) had rules that changed drastically every new edition or supplement that dealt with these things.

I know d20 system and storytelling system, and I bought Eclipse Phase RPG 1st Ed (when I read the stats of the characters I can't understand the abilities scores/attribues). I don't feel like to learn more systems. If it is a game without leveling-up, then I would rather a d20 adaptation, or mixing both systems. (yes, it's strange to mix d20 and storytelling, but I like the challenge).

Remove ads

Remove ads