Dragon 368 - Death Matters (But Never Happens)

Nail

First Post
But I ... think it would be nice if having a large party wasn't quite such an advantage...like if they'd designed the game around a standard party size of 5 players instead of 4.
They did.

The published adventures are balanced for 5 PCs, not 4.

Mercule

Adventurer
these are a bunch of army guys here in Baghdad who have trained in and used squad tactics in real life.
I can sympathize. I've found players with actual military experience to be significantly better at staying alive than we normal folk. I'm even noticed it with Air Force MPs who've never been off base, so I assume that people actually living in a war zone (or something close to it) have this trait cranked to 11. It isn't a get out of jail free cards, but they are probably playing at a higher level than the rules assume. This is also part of your trouble.

I'd say you should feel free to make things a bit harder on them. Maybe start by upping the encounter difficulties up as though you had one additional player, then a second or third until things are as deadly as you want them. I say more players rather than higher level because you're less likely to get one-kill situations and mobs don't need as good of tactics as single monsters do, so you'll be more insulated from mistakes on both the high and low ends. You could probably treat them as one level higher than they are, though. I just wouldn't go above that.

Griogre

First Post
For what it's worth I found that guys that had just taken Mil Sci tended to play better and that was 20 years ago. I would presume veterans would be even better.

I'll never forget a D&D game I was running in the dorms and one of the players came in and said to the rest they had to get their :):):):) togeather and start using the principles of war in the game. :)

Last edited:

chitzk0i

Explorer
But most worringly is the feeling that they can run combat by the numbers, and if they use their resources efficiently, they will never die. Combat becomes an inevitability, with memorable moments of extraordinary feats.

Well, the new edition does reward tactical play. If the players coordinate their actions, they can accomplish a lot more than if they all act alone. And it looks like you have players who are making the most of this.

Try keeping them on their toes. Get creative. Maybe the monsters bust out potions and heal dramatically. Maybe reinforcements arrive. A couple of lurkers joining the fray is sure to spice it up. Maybe a forgotten trap activates, pushing a standard encounter into dangerous territory.

Don't go too overboard, though. Keep them guessing. If they're asking themselves what the twist will be this encounter, let some fights play out as normal. Let them dominate for a few encounters and then kick it up a notch.

Another idea: maybe there's someone else who could DM for a little while. If they're more tactically-minded than you, you could ask for a few pointers.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Remove ads