• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon abilities

Nail

First Post
So, passing out more magic items to certain players is really not a solution. In fact, it will cause exactly the same issue.
Nope.

Currently, you have much lower level PCs in the party because they don't attend often. These lower level PCs also have fewer (and possibly less powerful) magic items....for the very same reason: they don't attend often. I'm advocating the removal of the level difference but not the magic item difference. Simple!

Moreover, in 4e (unlike older-school D&D), magic items don't make up nearly the same proportion of a PCs power. Level is the first (and biggest) cause of power differences between PCs.

As it should be.

Doctor Proctor

First Post
Plus, with a magic item you're often getting a Daily power. The difference between 2nd and 4th level involves an Encounter power. Add to that the fact that those magic item dailies are limited in how many you can use in a day. So no, you're not "adding a power" by giving a player a magic item the same way that you're "adding a power" by allowing them to level up to level.

Encounter powers can be used every encounter and therefore contribute a lot to the PC, whereas Daily powers just don't. Especially magic item dailies.

Plus, as Nail pointed out, there's already a magic item discrepancy anyway. Your 4th level guys have higher levels and more magic items. So allowing the lower level guys to catch up only solves half of that, and the magic item difference can be seen as a "reward" for the players who attend frequently.

The difference between having a "+1 Longsword" and a "+1 Flaming Longsword" at those levels won't be huge, nor is the difference between using a mundane sword or a +1 weapon. Where it gets bad is when you're 2 levels lower, didn't get a stat bump, have one less encounter power and you're using a mundane sword while the higher level guys have magical weapons.

davidnoal

First Post
I appreciate your concern, really I do. But the difference in level does not concern me, is not a problem, and never will be perceived that way by me.

I have no intention of bringing the lower level folks up, for free.

I have no intention of over-compensating players who cannot attend every session.

They'll either catch up, or die trying. Either way is fine by me.

:p

Doctor Proctor

First Post
They'll either catch up, or die trying. Either way is fine by me.

:p

Yes, unfortunately when they die, they'll be rolling a new level 1 character I assume. Around the 4th or 5th time you're doing that, it's gonna be real boring. To be frank, if I was at your table, I would leave.

Also, I don't think it's just a matter of "well, they don't show up so why should they get advanced for free". In my party I've been dropped more than anyone, and have come the closest to dying. That's because I'm a Fighter, and it comes with the territory. If I end up biting it though because while our Ranger is sitting 10 squares back spamming Twin Shot instead of helping me, then I'm not going to be happy about rolling a new level 1. In that case, you're not punishing someone for not showing...you're just punishing them for dying.

Plus, didn't you say that you started new players that just joined your talbe at level 1? How is that fair to them? Especially down the road when the difference is more like level 1 -vs- level 6?

davidnoal

First Post
Yes, unfortunately when they die, they'll be rolling a new level 1 character I assume. Around the 4th or 5th time you're doing that, it's gonna be real boring. To be frank, if I was at your table, I would leave.

Also, I don't think it's just a matter of "well, they don't show up so why should they get advanced for free". In my party I've been dropped more than anyone, and have come the closest to dying. That's because I'm a Fighter, and it comes with the territory. If I end up biting it though because while our Ranger is sitting 10 squares back spamming Twin Shot instead of helping me, then I'm not going to be happy about rolling a new level 1. In that case, you're not punishing someone for not showing...you're just punishing them for dying.

Plus, didn't you say that you started new players that just joined your talbe at level 1? How is that fair to them? Especially down the road when the difference is more like level 1 -vs- level 6?

First, if it were my table, I wouldn't invite you, since I don't know you. Only folks who I personally know ever receive that invitation.

Second, I didn't ask for general advice on how to run my game, nor do I need it. I questioned the mechanicals behind the Young Red and the minimum party folks would pit against it. That question was answered, so there's no need to continue to tell me how "wrong" I'm playing at my table.

Third, as GM it's my job to screw over the players every chance I get. They try to do it to me! So long as I am building (mostly) fair encounters, or giving them hints that the encounter is NOT fair... I feel that I'm justified. There will never be any need for me to justify my actions to you though, since you don't participate in my game.

davidnoal

First Post
The party I ended up running for was as follows:

dragonborn paladin 1
doppelganger warlord 3
efl ranger 2
human rogue 4
dragonborn cleric 4
dwarf fighter 4

They faced a Young Green Dragon from the MM, it is a level 5 Solo.

The dragon performed underwhelming. Not only were my die rolls crap during this fight (I missed the double attack every time but once...), but the dragon did not have the damage output to match the PCs of that group above.

The Young Red might still have been too much, but the green was too weak.

All in all running the dragon was fun. Next time I will use one that is a bit tougher... I'm done going easy on them. :)

The first encounter of the night, 4 Dark Creepers and 1 Shadowhunter Bat was more of a challenge for them.

Everyone did have a great time though, so I'd say it was a success.

the Jester

Legend
Your choice of monsters is also hampered by having a level disparity of 2 whole levels in your party. The game mechanics are really geared to the party all being the same level.... Monsters appropiate for your level 4s will eat the 2s up, and monsters appropiate for your level 2s will be much less of a threat to your 4s.

Well, let's just say that I disagree. While this may have been true in 3e, in 4e, a few levels' worth of disparity just isn't that big of a deal. Hell, my current group is levels 6-9, with the level 9 guys having just achieved their current level during last night's game, and the shining star of last night's game was prolly the low level dude.

Remove ads