D&D 5E Dragon Age Categories: The Poll!

What Dragon Age Category do you prefer

• Option #1, Some old w/ some new: 9 age categories (see below).

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • Option #2, Retro: 8 age categories (see below).

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • Option #3, Classic: 12 age categories (see below)

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • Option #4, Neo: 5 age categories (see below)

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Option #5, Modern: 4 age categories (see below)

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Option #6, Modern Twist: 4 + 4 (see below)

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Option #7, Retro Twist: 8 + 1 (see below)

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Option #9, Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 8.2%

TheBoredGM

Beneath our modern banality, we're just savages.
Dragon Age Category Age in Years CR
0 (Egg)GestatingBase -2
1 (Wyrmling)0-5Base
2 (Very Young)6-15Base +2
3 (Young)16-25Base +4
4 (Juvenile)26-50Base +5
5 (Young Adult)51-100Base +7
6 (Adult)101-200Base +8
7 (Mature Adult)201-400Base +9
8 (Old)401-600Base +11
9 (Very Old)601-800Base +12
10 (Elder) 801-1,000 Base +13
11 (Ancient)1,001-1,200Base +14
12 (Wyrm)1,201-1,600Base +16
13 (Great Wyrm)1,601-2,000Base +18
14+ (Older Dragons, Gods) 2,001+Base +20 or higher, plus Mythic
You're welcome.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Dragon Age Category Age in Years CR
0 (Egg)GestatingBase -2
1 (Wyrmling)0-5Base
2 (Very Young)6-15Base +2
3 (Young)16-25Base +4
4 (Juvenile)26-50Base +5
5 (Young Adult)51-100Base +7
6 (Adult)101-200Base +8
7 (Mature Adult)201-400Base +9
8 (Old)401-600Base +11
9 (Very Old)601-800Base +12
10 (Elder) 801-1,000Base +13
11 (Ancient)1,001-1,200Base +14
12 (Wyrm)1,201-1,600Base +16
13 (Great Wyrm)1,601-2,000Base +18
14+ (Older Dragons, Gods) 2,001+Base +20 or higher, plus Mythic
You're welcome.
I not planning on anything over 12 age categories at the moment, and based on the poll likely fewer.

Also, what are you using as your "base"

TheBoredGM

Wyrmlings.
I not planning on anything over 12 age categories at the moment, and based on the poll likely fewer.

Also, what are you using as your "base"
The same concept as PF's Bestiary 4. It saves space. Basically a template for a given Dragon type.
Screenshot_20-35-28.jpg

NotAYakk

Legend
The advantage of the age bands is that you have way, way less work to "just pick up a dragon".

Having bolt-on bits that let you boost the CR of the beasty helps, but I don't think I'd want building from wyrmling to great wyrm to be just bolt on bits.

And in 5e, you don't need a different monster every 2 CR because the power curve isn't that steep.

TheBoredGM

And in 5e, you don't need a different monster every 2 CR because the power curve isn't that steep.
Actually, that's why I'd argue you need that. Each monster doesn't need a full stat block built because then you'd have half the book full of dragons. They are outlined for deeper monster variety, and progression. In case you need a slightly higher challenge.
Power curve needs to be steeper anyway.

dave2008

Legend
The same concept as PF's Bestiary 4. It saves space. Basically a template for a given Dragon type.
It funny how you always default to PF. The concept started in 2e and PF got it from 3e/3.5e of course. It is just that dragons are done differently in 4e and 5e. I am not planning to do a chart like this as I prefer to have a whole stat block instead of a reference chart to make my dragon.

dave2008

Legend
Actually, that's why I'd argue you need that. Each monster doesn't need a full stat block built because then you'd have half the book full of dragons. They are outlined for deeper monster variety, and progression. In case you need a slightly higher challenge.
Power curve needs to be steeper anyway.
I think @NotAYakk point is that you have fewer well defined categories (full stat blocks) and then pieces that can be add (bolt on bits) that can adjust a particular dragon. I think I prefer that method too, but I will see how the poll comes out.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Shouldn't the ages you know mean something?

A wyrmling dragon is basically a intelligent monster. They area bout mentally as smart as human children with the higher tier dragons being like child prodigies and the lower tier ones like dumb kids.

A young dragon is when all dragons have at least matched or surpassed the minds of the most basic mortals of decent education... maybe. They have not experienced the length of life to truly feel about time. Young dragons are much like humans in dragon bodies.

Adult is when a dragon has full control of all their dragon aspects. However this is just recent and they are just now deciding on what they are doing with their life.

Mature/Old dragons have spent enough time in one place and stopped fighting foes actively enough to start developing their inner sorcery full.

Elder dragons have implemented the basis of their long term plans. They have created a permanent lair or two and fully remodeled them. Elder dragons have minions and connections that are more that simple hobbies and trophies but items of worth.

Ancient dragons is where few dragons get to after they have completed their main goals in life. This is where some dragon get bored and sleep.

Wyrms are bored old lizard kitties.

1Wyrmling
2YoungUnlocks Multiattack
3JuvenileUnlocks Frighting PresenceMay start hording. Acts like a mortal.
4Young AdultUnlocks Legendary ResistanceCan lay eggs
5AdultUnlocks Legendary Actions and basic MagicCan make special lairs
6MatureUnlocks Full Sorcery and ElementalismMight support organizations, causes, and minions fully
7OldUnlocks Elementalism and some lair actions
8ElderUnlocks all liar actionsHas fully upgraded Permanent lairs
9AncientStops reproducing
10Wyrm

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases