Dragon article -- Class Acts: Wizards

drquestion

Explorer
Bagpuss said:
So if you use any of these abilities on a Cyclops within 6 squares do they just fail?
You're thinking of 3e truesight - in 4e, it just gives you the ability to see invisible creatures and objects (MM, p. 283).

So truesight shouldn't have any effect on these illusions.

Bagpuss

Legend
From page 283: The monster automatically sees through illusions within the specified range (in squares) and within its line of sight.

If you don't believe the attack how can it cause you damage? It says nothing about only allowing you to see invisible creatures or objects.

Bagpuss

Legend
hamishspence said:
The only one that seems buggy: no duration listed, or sustain.

RAW it lasts forever: mmm, wild magic terrain. Nice. While I suspect it was not intended that way, I might allow it.

Actually I thought effects were instantaneous unless given a conditional or sustain duration.

Here we go (page 278) Durations...

Unless otherwise noted, a power is instantaneous and has no lasting effect. The two types of durations are conditional and sustained.

So RAW Phantasmal Terrain only effect creatures moving as you cast it (which is never going to happen), so bit rubbish really.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Bagpuss said:
From page 283: The monster automatically sees through illusions within the specified range (in squares) and within its line of sight.

Page 283 says: "Truesight: ... see invisible creatures and objects within the specified range and within line of sight". Nothing about automatically seeing through illusions.

TimeOut

First Post
Bagpuss said:
Actually I thought effects only last for one rounds unless it says otherwise.

"Unless otherwise noted, a power is instantaneous and has no lasting effect." (PHB, page 278, right side)

TimeOut

First Post
Bagpuss said:
You got me before the edit...

I think it needs a Sustain: Minor adding, otherwise it is useless.

Sorry, took 10 on my stealth check (according to another thread) ;)

I agree. Useless without, really nice with Sustain Minor.
Edit: Or even better with "until the end of the encounter".

Edit: New combo (didn't check the thread)?

Web - Wizard Attack 5 + Phantasmal Terrain - Wizard Utility 2
2 standard actions, no attack rolls needed.

Creates an Area burst 2 until the end of the encounter where one square of movement costs 3 squares and each creature that ends its movement in there is immobilized (save ends).

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
TimeOut said:
Web - Wizard Attack 5 + Phantasmal Terrain - Wizard Utility 2
2 standard actions, no attack rolls needed.

Creates an Area burst 2 until the end of the encounter where one square of movement costs 3 squares and each creature that ends its movement in there is immobilized (save ends).
Granted, you just used a daily power and an encounter power to get that. Which may have blown your potency in the Heroic tier, but it's a nice mix if you want to use it, by all means!

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Loincloth of Armour said:
You create an illusionary wall. Enemies think it's real, but if they're close enough (adjacent) they *might* notice something is amiss (the Int vrs. Will attack). If they move to become adjacent then yes, immediate interrupt Int vrs. Will. I mean, why not? Makes sense and seems to fit the idea behind the power. If your attack succeeds, the enemy may not move through the squares with the wall, not gain LOS through the wall.

You only get one immediate action each turn, so that means your wall works on only one enemy per round. What happens if 10 guys move adjacent? You can't attack the other 9, so... do they automatically get to go through?

I don't think the attack is any sort of action. It looks like essentially the wall attacks, using your attack bonus, whenever an enemy moves adjacent.

On the whole, I like these spells. But man, Rodney probably should have handed this off to at least one person for editing/playtesting. Right now, in terms of rules-consistency it ranks about equal to the fan creations we've been seeing on ENWorld's front page.

I'd have expected Dragon stuff to be higher quality.

Remove ads