• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Disciple PrC

Matttagg

First Post
I would like to think that this has been answered before, and excuse me if that is the case (but I can't find it). Do Dragon Disciple levels stack with existing caster levels in terms of spell effect die and things like improved familiar and item creation level requirements? for example is a fireball cast by a lv6 sorcerer/lv2 dragon disciple a 6d6 fireball or and 8d6 fireball?
If there is an acctuall published answer for this, could someone tell me where it is?
Thanks.

Crothian

First Post
It stacks for tems of spells you can cast and your caster levels. It does not stack with familiar abilities. It would help with item creation feats.

T&B talks about this.

nharwell

Explorer
Unfortunately, unless the PrC description specifically says they stack (or that the class gives "+1 caster level"), then they don't --and I can't find anywhere in the Dragon Disciple description that suggests that spell ability increases beyond the "bonus spells" gained. Another reason why this prestige class, while interesting, isn't very viable for a single-classed sorceror.

Akunin

First Post
Nope - does not add to effective caster level:

Bonus Spells (Sp)
Dragon disciples gain bonus spells as they gain levels in this prestige class, as if through having a high ability score, listed in the above table. A bonus spell can be added to any level of spells the disciple already has the ability to cast.

If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a dragon disciple, he must decide to which class he adds the bonus spell(s). Once a bonus spell has been applied, it cannot be shifted.

You just get bonus spells, not spellcaster levels.

Crothian

First Post
good point, I misswed that. It has to say +1 caster level as many prestige classes do. The bonus spels under the Dragon Disciple are all you get and how those work is in the description of the prestige class.

Akunin

First Post
You get increasing Hit Dice, up to +4 Natural Armor, +8 STR, +2 CHA, and +2 CON, claw and bite attacks, wings, a breath weapon, low-light vision, darkvision, immunity to sleep and paralysis effects, and an additional immunity based on your dragon type...

And you want spells, too? :rolleyes:

nharwell

Explorer
Akunin said:
You get increasing Hit Dice, up to +4 Natural Armor, +8 STR, +2 CHA, and +2 CON, claw and bite attacks, wings, a breath weapon, low-light vision, darkvision, immunity to sleep and paralysis effects, and an additional immunity based on your dragon type...

And you want spells, too? :rolleyes:

All nice abilities, to be sure ... but not very useful for a sorceror. Quite effective, on the other hand, for a fighter- or barbarian-sorceror.

Crothian

First Post
nharwell said:

All nice abilities, to be sure ... but not very useful for a sorceror. Quite effective, on the other hand, for a fighter- or barbarian-sorceror.

Actually, they can be very useful for a sorcerer. Cha increases are always nice. the strength increase allows him to not worry about melee combat along withthe nice AC boost. Con increases always are important. He can fly and cast spells, attack with claws. He's no longer a one trick pony. Very versitile character.

nharwell

Explorer
But he has abysmal spell ability and mediocre combat ability. I have a Dragon Disciple PC in my current campaign and, while I absolutely love her character concept and background, I have to say that it's a very weak character. Now, she could have consciously tried to maximize the character -- maybe started with a 17 or 18 strength, picked up a few levels of fighter or barbarian, etc., but she instead is playing a more "traditional" sorceror. The DD abilities gained over 10 levels do not, IMHO, equal those she would have as a straight sorceror.

Crothian

First Post
It's a different version of the old character. You're right, maybe taking a few fighter levels would help you take advantage of the class more.

Incedentlally, did the Sage over rule on wheather one also gets bonuses from going from medium to large in additiona to what the class give? I recall something like that.

Not all prestige classes are made for everyone. You gave up spell power for physical power. The change is pretty substancial. Maybe in your case you feel it's still not good enough, I can understand that. It's a hard Prestige Class to really take full advantage of. Yuo really don't want to be a person who relies on spells all the time, since you're spellcasting ability practically stops.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads