D&D 5E Dragon Talk: D&D News, Theros Interview, LYSK Nautiliods & Duergar

gyor

Legend

I don't know how long this link will work for, I hate twitch, wish they just used used YouTube live streaming.

Anyway alot of interesting stuff here, soooo much good stuff.

gyor

Legend
Some cool points, for Supernatural Gift you can choose Forged by Purphoros, which makes you a living construct like warforged, except you keep your normal race as well, plus your hand made by a God, so that is awesome.

All the Gods each get 5 pages (Theros has 15 Gods still living so that is 75 pages on the Gods, their worshippers and so on).

Temples are Greek Style, but colourful, this are current temples, not ruins (apparently actual Greek Temples weren't just white, they were colourful, it's just that they lost that colour when they became ruins, losing their paint job over centuries).

There is a short section on adventuring in the Nyx, which is a Dreamland meets Mount Olympus mets the constellations sort of realm. There is a larger section on Adventuring in the Underworld.

There is 1 introductory adventure.

There are 3 Mythic Monsters that are meant to be capstones to the plane, fighting them is intended to be cinematic, and more mythic. One is a Kraken, one is the Queen of Medusa, and one is a Spider.

You find out about the culture and politics of the three main Polis.

They have stats for Phalanxes.

The five God weapons get more powerful as you go up in Piety.

There is poetry in the Homeric Meter, but in English.

The book also has side bars with setting myths and stuff.

A lot of the art is from MtG cards, but the covet, starting chapter art, and a few other pieces are new.

They have some really big monsters.

The Gods in this book really shape the setting like Guilds do in Ravnica.

They really emphasised how epic this is supposed to be, there really is no, you start out from humble origins like a simple farmer or something, your choosen by the Gods (all the characters are).

It does have advise to help players who worship Gods that are enemies, still play together.

Lots of adventure hooks.

The LYSK on Nautiliods talked about various kinds of Mindflayer ships.

The preview video of BG3 was referred to at times.

Nautiliods have viens running through them, with Humaniod Brains pumped through them to kind of act like the ships computer.

Duergar really made clear how boring they are to be around, they are joyless and cruel, and greedy, yet the stuff they aquire gives them fleeting pleasure at best.

The Duergar Gods are discussed. Later on the discussion Asmodeus is mention, it's suggested he MIGHT of stolen the identity of the Deurgars head God.

Mentioned are the cruel machine/Duergar hybrids that are powered by the Duergar in it's suffering.

Psionics and their history with the Mindflayers are mentioned.

PC Duergar are discussed, if they aren't dour they are likely not raised in a Duergar city, but rather somewhere else for some reason.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Yeeeeaaaah, Mindflayer plot AP incoming from Perkins methinks.
One can hope. And it would fit with Perkins's tweet from last year about Curse of Strahd ("If you liked Curse of Strahd, then you'll like what I'm working on for 2020"). Mindflayers have a similar horror vibe.

I'm not sure when BG3 is supposed to come out, but it'd be great if it came out around the same time as a Mindflayer AP, for that synergistic product tie-in goodness.

Some cool points, for Supernatural Gift you can choose Forged by Purphoros, which makes you a living construct like warforged, except you keep your normal race as well, plus your hand made by a God, so that is awesome.

Nice. When they first announced the character options, I was a little disappointed there wasn't a Talos-like bronze guardian type. But apparently, there is! :cool:

dave2008

Legend
Temples are Greek Style, but colourful, this are current temples, not ruins (apparently actual Greek Temples weren't just white, they were colourful, it's just that they lost that colour when they became ruins, losing their paint job over centuries).
They weren't ruins either ;)

FYI, here is what the Parthenon really looked like:
Partheon.jpg

And here is the temple of Zeus:
TempleofZeus1.jpg

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
There are 3 Mythic Monsters that are meant to be capstones to the plane, fighting them is intended to be cinematic, and more mythic. One is a Kraken, one is the Queen of Medusa, and one is a Spider.
DId they discuss how these mythic monsters differ from legendary monsters? My understanding is that there are supposed to be some new mechanics involved.

Remove ads