Votes: 386 48.4%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 202 25.3%
  • I'm a special snowflake and have another idea

Votes: 70 8.8%

Kesh

First Post
I am a special snowflake! *cough*

The dragonborn will likely be an extinct race in my campaign. Think pseudo-Egyptian culture, only with a bit of a twist (my homebrew is a frosty world).

Their replacement race will be gnolls! (What a surprise, right?)

GreatLemur

Explorer
I don't blacklist. I whitelist. And that all depends on the campaign I'm running. Dragonborn do sound more interesting than elves, though.

Lurks-no-More

First Post
der_kluge said:
Mistwell said:
How can 45% of people intend to allow a core race before they have even seen it?
FIFY
Because we trust the WotC designers to produce a game whose default options aren't sucktastic or broken?

It makes a lot more sense to initially allow whatever is in the core books. If the DBs turn out bad in practice, sure, go ahead and ban them; or if they turn out as not to fit any campaign idea you have. But pre-emptive banning, based on basically just the name and a few sentences of description, is irrational.l

Gold Roger

First Post
It sounds like they are just some kind of lizardfolk with fancier name and draconic connections. I can work with that.

In fact, have perfect places for dragonborn and tieflings in the setting I intend to use with 4th, while I still have some trouble placing elves, eladrin and halflings.

Imban

First Post
I'm pretty sure the first 4e game I ever run will have a Dragonborn in it, so no, they won't be banned. I don't really ban stuff unless it's mechanically terrible though so...

Grimstaff

Explorer
I've been using Lizardmen as a player race since the early 80's. Dragonborn just saves me some houserule work. ;)

(For example, check out the "Lands of Lyrion" link below)

Last edited:

AllisterH

First Post
Grimstaff said:
I've been using Lizardmen as a player race since the early 80's. Dragonborn just saves me some houserule work. ;)

(For example, check out the "Lands of Lyrion" link below)

This is what confuses me.

Haven't Draconians been a playable race since forever? Weren't kobolds the big sleeper race of 3e? Didn't the Dragon themed products sell like gangbusters? What's the big deal about Dragonborn?

GSHamster

Adventurer
Lizard or Draconic humanoids have been a part of D&D for many years now, before most computer games. Dragonlance had Draconians, which are an essential part of the setting. Forgotten Realms had saurials. Dragonbait was a major character in the 1988 novel Curse of the Azure Bonds.

Claiming that Dragonborn is evidence that 4E is "video-gamey" merely shows that you have no understanding of the history of D&D.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
My initial repsonse towards the dragonborn was negative. I've had it with dragon-blend everything lately.

However, I'm remembering that in my homebrew setting that has been on the shelf for a handful of years now, (I've been playing exclusively in Living Greyhawk the past half-decade) I had a reptilian race that was a PC-option.

If it is simple for me to take the dragonborn race and file off the draconic-heritage background, and simply use it as a generic-reptile-heritage race, I'll very likely use it as is with my own flavor.

Remove ads