• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonfire Adept and Eldritch Disciple?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
The Dragonfire Adept can qualify for the Eldritch Disciple PrC. Obviously that's not what the PrC was designed for (Even though the text refers to possibly having more than one Invocation class to progress).

However, is it reasonable to consider applying the class abilities such as Gift of Divine Patron and Eldritch Spellweave to Breath Weapons?

Because I think this would make a fun Cleric of Bahamut.

emoplato

First Post
The Dragonfire Adept can qualify for the Eldritch Disciple PrC. Obviously that's not what the PrC was designed for (Even though the text refers to possibly having more than one Invocation class to progress).

However, is it reasonable to consider applying the class abilities such as Gift of Divine Patron and Eldritch Spellweave to Breath Weapons?

Because I think this would make a fun Cleric of Bahamut.
It would, unfortunately by RAW this would never work. One of the pitfalls associated with a Dragonfire Adept is that all of its breath weapons and variations there of are strict class features, not invocations. Their invocations are strict touch and buff types. It makes multi-classing with them very difficult.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
It would, unfortunately by RAW this would never work. One of the pitfalls associated with a Dragonfire Adept is that all of its breath weapons and variations there of are strict class features, not invocations. Their invocations are strict touch and buff types. It makes multi-classing with them very difficult.
Hm... Gotcha, thanks. The class abilities wouldn't apply then, but the Breath progression and double Divine casting/Invocation progression might still be worthwhile. I'm considering this for an NPC.

emoplato

First Post
Hm... Gotcha, thanks. The class abilities wouldn't apply then, but the Breath progression and double Divine casting/Invocation progression might still be worthwhile. I'm considering this for an NPC.
Your invocations would progress but your breath wouldn't. They are tied to the Dragonfire Adept class ability chart outside invocations. It is why they have less than a Warlock. However since they made no mention on how to multi-class with it one can only assume it doesn't progress. Even if you would focus more on the adept over the cleric you would only have a base 4d6 breath weapon. You also won't have some of the really nice breath effects especially towards the end.
You could better be a Dragonborn(Heart) Warlock/Cleric/Eldritch Disciple and you would actually have a more effective breath weapon and casting, but lose little flavor. You could pick up invocations from the adept's list. They use the same mechanic and you are dragon-blooded after all;).

Empirate

First Post
Nothing to say you can't fluff a regular Warlock's Eldritch Blast as a breath effect, btw. Sure, it will be (Sp), not (Su), but otherwise, EB is rather undefined regarding its visual manifestation. For example, a "words are power" themed Warlock in my current group has an Eldritch Blast that manifests as a horrible, guttural sound escaping her lips, accompanied by runic letters forming in the air, that is capable of breaking bones and caving in skulls. Why not play a dragon-themed Warlock: resistances and DR = draconic skin, pick See the Unseen, Fell Flight, Charm, Eldritch Cone, Brimstone Blast...?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads