Dragonlance Dragonlance comes to DMsGuild

Steel_Wind

Legend
Based on their explanation of the POD process, since this is DL Nexus' first release on DM's Guild they might need the sales to reach Gold level before they are eligible for POD options. I went ahead and bought the PDF to help them get there. It's currently listed on the Most Popular List (along with Dragonlance Companion!) so hopefully they'll also be able to offer a POD soon.
I bought the revised Tasslehoff's Pouches of Everything this morning as well. I have known of Trampas and his work on the Nexus for a very long time. I was happy to support their efforts with a purchase as well as I think pro quality community work should be supported with $$ (to be clear, I think I recieved 90% of it previously for free).

I do look forward to more efforts aimed at the classic campaign. I think Stephen Bull's Aesthetics Guides are great, but what they fail to do is really change the Classic Campaign as much as it needs to be altered, especially in DL1 and DL2, where most of the novel's blow-by-blow spoilers and heavy-handed railroday stuff takes place.

My own personal opinion concerning the DL1-14 Classic Campaign is that of the 11 playable modules, only 2 have been throroughly spoiled; and it is the same two modules that suffer from an overly railroady design. So most of the significant revisions are required there.

The problem is, these two modules are the first two modules in a 11 module campaign. All wannabe DragonLance DMs suffer from this same issue: to get to the good stuff that hasn't been thoroughly spoiled, (DL3-4, DL6-8, DL10, DL12-14 and we have to get by the first two modules that so memorably were. Never mind the conversion to 5e, DL1 and DL2 also need significant design changes to be as playable as they need to be to engage players who are familiar with the novel Dragons of Autumn Twilight. Those changes also need to address the railroady elements of those modules to improve player agency, though that isn't as hard to do as it appears.

Once you get by DL2 and into DL3 and beyond afterwards - it's comparatively smooth sailing. But you have to get there first with the players engaged. When it comes to the classic DL campaign and running it for players who are familair with the novels, that is easier said than done.

Last edited:

Cam Banks is planning to do just that, I believe.
Dang. It turns out likely not
1670349299529.png

Steel_Wind

Legend
Cam's right about that. The conversions are already done and suggested in the Aesthetics Guides or in Dragons of Autum Twilight 5e by Cody DeBonis (which is still out there on the web - he has some decent changes in his conversion, too). The DragonLance Nexus has promised one for this coming winter, too.

There are planty of hands on deck already to help raise this sail.

Remove ads