• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance comes to DMsGuild

I guess now we can say oficially the return of Dragonlance has been succesful and satisfying. There are changes, and someones may be necessary, or right for the criteria of the new generation of players, and we can't agree totally about what is right or wrong.

I hope to see the tayfolk as a PC race specie. Because I like the idea if they share a telepatic link, and one player could use two PCs.
1670356179351.jpeg

1670355708796.png

And if I am not wrong, DMGuild allows sourcebooks about uchronies or alternate timelines.

Splinterverse

Explorer
Publisher
Just a note. Our Dragonlance Companion book is now available in hardcover at Dragonlance Companion - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild

If you purchased digitally prior to this message and want to buy the hardcover, email me your receipt at splinterverse at gmail dot com and I'll generate a custom discount for you to purchase the hardcover at what would be the same price for it in the bundle.

GreyLord

Legend
I bought the revised Tasslehoff's Pouches of Everything this morning as well. I have known of Trampas and his work on the Nexus for a very long time. I was happy to support their efforts with a purchase as well as I think pro quality community work should be supported with $$ (to be clear, I think I recieved 90% of it previously for free).

I do look forward to more efforts aimed at the classic campaign. I think Stephen Bull's Aesthetics Guides are great, but what they fail to do is really change the Classic Campaign as much as it needs to be altered, especially in DL1 and DL2, where most of the novel's blow-by-blow spoilers and heavy-handed railroday stuff takes place.

My own personal opinion concerning the DL1-14 Classic Campaign is that of the 11 playable modules, only 2 have been throroughly spoiled; and it is the same two modules that suffer from an overly railroady design. So most of the significant revisions are required there.

The problem is, these two modules are the first two modules in a 11 module campaign. All wannabe DragonLance DMs suffer from this same issue: to get to the good stuff that hasn't been thoroughly spoiled, (DL3-4, DL6-8, DL10, DL12-14 and we have to get by the first two modules that so memorably were. Never mind the conversion to 5e, DL1 and DL2 also need significant design changes to be as playable as they need to be to engage players who are familiar with the novel Dragons of Autumn Twilight. Those changes also need to address the railroady elements of those modules to improve player agency, though that isn't as hard to do as it appears.

Once you get by DL2 and into DL3 and beyond afterwards - it's comparatively smooth sailing. But you have to get there first with the players engaged. When it comes to the classic DL campaign and running it for players who are familair with the novels, that is easier said than done.

What changes were there between the revised version and their original release? (Tas's?)

Steel_Wind

Legend
What changes were there between the revised version and their original release? (Tas's?)
I have not closely compared the two. Obviously, the revised version has the (revised) Champions of Krynn added to the book, which increases the page count an additional 30 pages or so and is not reflected in the TOC below.
Compare the ToC from original (left) to revised (right). That says nothing about changes to the text itself, of course.

1670360754728.png

GreyLord

Legend
I have not closely compared the two. Obviously, the revised version has the (revised) Champions of Krynn added to the book, which increases the page count an additional 30 pages or so and is not reflected in the TOC below.
Compare the ToC from original (left) to revised (right). That says nothing about changes to the text itself, of course.

View attachment 268992

A glance at that appears that they took away some racial options and some of the player options (Pestilence divine domain, Warlock patrons). Also added Greater Dragonlances (but took away the key and rabbitslayer).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
A glance at that appears that they took away some racial options and some of the player options (Pestilence divine domain, Warlock patrons). Also added Greater Dragonlances (but took away the key and rabbitslayer).
And the reasons to keep the original, even if just as an occasional reference, stay true.

I'm still getting the new one though.

And the reasons to keep the original, even if just as an occasional reference, stay true.

I'm still getting the new one though.
Some of it seems to just be reorganizing and expanding what was previously offered. Gully dwarf for example has its own entry on the original's table of contents with a short entry mainly focused on game mechanics. The revised version has them under the main dwarf section with a short paragraph explaining what they are, which has expanded info on the different types of dwarves (Hylar, Theiwar, Zhakar, etc).

Libertad

Hero
I don't know if making an entirely new thread with a table of contents in the OP would be preferred, but I spotted another interesting-looking product tonight: a solo adventure where you play a mage undertaking the Test of High Sorcery.

dave2008

Legend
Someone might want to tell the creator's of Tas's Pouch of Everything that doesn't show up when you filter for 5e & Dragonlance. That could hurt their sales once it falls off the front page.

EDIT: I notified them in another thread and on DMsGuild

EDIT 2: This was the case with a lot of the new DL titles on the Guild. I notified about a half dozen creators.

Last edited:

Remove ads