Dragonlance Dragonlance? (Magic items)

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm thinking of adding Dragonlances to my game to help kill an adult blue dragon (with help) level 7 or 8.

Just wondering how you would stat one up.

S basic version would be a 3.5 bane weapon. This is an extra 2d6 damage and the weapon increases our so a +1 Lance becomes +3.

Or I can convert the AD&D ones more or less as is. Maybe auto crits on Dragons idk.

There's also a feat in my game that lets you craft weapons and armor out of dragon parts. It grants an extra 1d6 damage and resistance to the appropriate element.

Thoughts on the Lance's and feat?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'm thinking of adding Dragonlances to my game to help kill an adult blue dragon (with help) level 7 or 8.

Just wondering how you would stat one up.

S basic version would be a 3.5 bane weapon. This is an extra 2d6 damage and the weapon increases our so a +1 Lance becomes +3.

Or I can convert the AD&D ones more or less as is. Maybe auto crits on Dragons idk.

There's also a feat in my game that lets you craft weapons and armor out of dragon parts. It grants an extra 1d6 damage and resistance to the appropriate element.

Thoughts on the Lance's and feat?
I think Dragon Slayer lances work pretty well, but...I’d be tempted to make them Legendary level of power. Maybe start with Advantage on attacks against dragons, and dragons are vulnerable to attacks from the Lance?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Direct from those whom created Dragonlance,

As per Dragonlance Adventures
By Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis
TSR, 1987 page 94.

There are two types of Dragonlances; mounted and footman's.

If they were forged with both the Silver Arm of Ergoth and the Hammer of Kharas, they have a +4 bonus to hit/damage. If they were forged by just one of those artifacts, it only gets a +2 bonus to hit/damage,

Against a dragon, the footman's dragonlance does damage equal to HP of the fighter.
Against a dragon, the mounted dragonlance does damage equal to HP of the fighter PLUS that of dragon it is mounted onto.
That’s...an incredibly weird mechanic.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
In play, those AD&D lances were auto kill weapons against dragons when dragons might only have 68 hit points. In the novels, a true dragonlance was potent enough for Huma to incapacitate a God (takhisis in material form).

I'd have two kinds. The mass production kind, treat as a Bane item from old days. The other would be an ultra rare true lance, an artifact, perhaps huma's lance, that does the hit point thing. They were designed for the union of mortal and dragon, so perhaps it only does hp damage when combined and solo it's simpy a bane item.

Zardnaar

Legend
Footman's Lance's pikes or Spears?

Think I will make them Dragonslayer Spears/pikes/Lance's.

The greater lances basically read kill target dragon.

+3 weapon, vs a dragon +6d6 damage and crits 18-20?

dave2008

Legend
Why not add in a power word kill type effect: +3 weapon, vs dragon +6d6 & if after the hit the dragon has 100 hit or less it dies. You can give it a saving throw if you want.

Zardnaar

Legend
Why not add in a power word kill type effect: +3 weapon, vs dragon +6d6 & if after the hit the dragon has 100 hit or less it dies. You can give it a saving throw if you want.

Power word kill on a crit?

Dragons have good saves and legendary resistance so a save isn't so great IMHO.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
You probably don't want to go and use the 1e/2e versions since they can do crazy amounts of damage unless the dragon hasn't managed to harm the wielder first. I'm not sure if it would be epic or anticlimactic to have an fighter charge a dragon and deal 80+ damage 3 times and kill the dragon in the first round.

I'd probably go with your bane idea in your OP. Perhaps make a lesser dragonlance a +1 weapon that deals +2d6 damage against a dragon, with those forged with both artefacts (if you want to differentiate) a +2 weapon which deal +4d6 damage. Perhaps also have it reduce the dragon's maximum hit points until they can have a long rest as well.

I'd save the +3 (+6d6) weapons for the true dragonlances that let the user fire a blast of their dragon mount's breath weapon from the lance in addition to its bane ability.

Remove ads