Dragonlance Dragonlance or Mystara?

If I had to choose between one of these two settings to run a 5E game, I'd choose. .

• Krynn (Dragonlance)

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • Mystara (The Known World)

Votes: 48 57.8%

• Poll closed .

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
The Vaults of Pandius and the Mystara forum at The Piazza are amazing resources. So much great fan stuff expanded there, if you want more inspiration about themes to explore in Mystara.

Thorfin Tait’s Mapping Mystara project is an utterly jaw dropping fan cartography experiment.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Dragonlance deserves a new story that comes full circle with where the setting started, and where it's been since then. Even the warts.

Move forward even further, restore things like Solace (may have already happened?), portray the gods that remain in the world as weak and distant, the War of The Lance as a part of history that informs where the world is, but doesn't define any ongoing story any more than the Cataclysm defined the first story.

Include ways for the characters to, if they want, carry on the Legacy of a past character, and introduce a whole capter on running a game that is informed by past campaigns, how to run legacy characters, etc. I mean, if I'm playing a mage, I kinda want the option, if my DM is down with it, to find or inherit the Staff of Magius, or be a pupil of the pupil of Dalamar or even Palin Majere, or be a scion of the family of one of the Heroes. Probably an alternate way of using the basic framework of the Divine Boons or whatever they're called in Theros.

But all that aside, you start the story, you make the date of the campaign world in the setting book, a day where some intrepid heroes meet to talk about the rumors of an army marching across the continent, and what can be done about it. Takhisis is back, but where is her counterpart? Or, flip that, and the army is the Divine Crusade of New Ishtar. Or whatever. Get a fantasy author to help you, for crying out loud, and come up with a new threat that calls back to old lore without rehashing it.

But once again, the world needs Heroes, and those heroes need to rediscover, or reforge, the Dragonlances!

Dragonlance is one of those settings (like, honestly, most of them) that would really benefit from the Eberron approach of a set date and no future canonical timeline development.

For Dragonlance, the War of the Lance should be the campaign prequel, and the setting date should be a few years later where clerical magic is back and is more or less functioning according to standard D&D assumptions, but with its own flavor. And then any novels set after that are officially just things that might happen in some version of the future, but won’t be written up as the way the game setting develops.

Argyle King

Legend
I prefer Dragonlance myself.

If you want something in the vein of Dragonlance, you might be able to find the old Red Hand of Doom module of 3rd Edition and run it with a few tweaks.

I think WotC should pull a Disney Star Wars move and obliterate the DL canon and reset the setting to the War of the Lance. Then all the things can just be "legends" that may or may not happen or may or may not have happened.

Or they could do the Hollywood standard and have a new version of DL called a "reboot" or "reimagining" or "remake" or whatever.

As long as they have Kender!

Zardnaar

Legend
I think WotC should pull a Disney Star Wars move and obliterate the DL canon and reset the setting to the War of the Lance. Then all the things can just be "legends" that may or may not happen or may or may not have happened.

Or they could do the Hollywood standard and have a new version of DL called a "reboot" or "reimagining" or "remake" or whatever.

As long as they have Kender!

This pretty much.

Remove ads