• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance DragonLance Paladine and Takhisis, how did they return?

Zaran

Adventurer
I think you are giving them too much credit about really being that in depth in their Dragonlance research when they put that in the PHB. They probably haven't read the recent books or even the 3.5 book which wasn't a WotC product.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Some people who are interested in DragonLance are content to pretend that the War of Souls never happened.

Likewise, some are content that the Fifth Age, or Summer of Flame, or Taladas never happened. It depends on who you ask.

Everyone has their favorite era, continent, etc. Heck, there are six alternate timelines as well. Plenty of room for DL fans of all stripes to find something they love.

aramis erak

Legend
So first off, I searched DragonLance in this forum already and didn't see a discussion on how these two gods returned in the threads.
IIRC, they came back MANY years ago... in one of the novels. Right about the time DL5A got dropped. One of the main characters got the gods to come back.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The DMG describes Dragonlance Ina brief paragraph, but it describes the War of the Lance. Don't think there is a metaplot leap forward, just treating the War of the Lance as the lynchpin for the setting (all the modules for it are for sale right now).

georbit

First Post
Good point, I hadn't remembered that they described the DragonLance setting as being during the War of the Lance. That's interesting, as it always seemed that the developers took into consideration the history and evolution of the Forgotten Realms books, but they never seem to do so for other settings that are based upon published book materials. Ah well.

Rune

Once A Fool
Good point, I hadn't remembered that they described the DragonLance setting as being during the War of the Lance. That's interesting, as it always seemed that the developers took into consideration the history and evolution of the Forgotten Realms books, but they never seem to do so for other settings that are based upon published book materials. Ah well.

Sure they did. That's how Dark Sun got ruined!

(And an argument could be made that that's how Forgotten Realms got ruined, too.)

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm not too familiar, but I understand 4E Dark Sun reverted to the beginning, consigning the previous metaplot to "possible story" status?

They could do something like that with Dragonlance, could be good. Back to basics.

Rune

Once A Fool
I'm not too familiar, but I understand 4E Dark Sun reverted to the beginning, consigning the previous metaplot to "possible story" status?

They could do something like that with Dragonlance, could be good. Back to basics.

Pretty sure the 4e version kept Tyr as a non-Sorcerer-King-run city. Which is the fundamental event that ruined Dark Sun as a setting.

Remove ads