Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a terrible justification. Seeking a career in film acting is a choice. Don't want to face the casting couch? Don't seek a job in acting.

No, it's still not okay just because it involves something people can choose not to do.
yes and no... there are some jobs that come with downsides (right or wrong) there are just some that are WAY too bad and illegal (like your example)

but at the same time "Don't go into retail if you don't want to deal with angry customers" is fine, "Don't go into retail if you don't want to be punched in the face for not taking a return" is not.

"Don't go into stripping if you don't want to be stared at by people attracted to your gender" is just true. "Don't go into stripping if you don't want to be assualted" is NOT

in this case
"don't study magic if you don't want to risk things with magic and maybe be disliked by commonors" is okay "Don't study magic if you arent willing to be forced into a death cult or be attacked by said death cult" is not

Vaalingrade

Legend
Yeah, again, I'm thinking that you haven't actually read any of the books or the modules, or at least, not in a really long time. Because this is flat out not true.
I'm getting real tired of , when talking about these settings with decades of lore and iterations and sedimentary layers of supplementary content someone hears some interpretation they don't like and accuses people of 'not reading X' and then never elaborating on which of the hundreds of products they're referring to or what groundbreaking revelations are contained therein.

Did they not send Soth to warn people? Did he not dumbass his way into failing at that? Did he not then get a holiday in Ravenloft?

And, I REALLY hope you are kidding by comparing the Disks of Mishakal to CD's, given the date of writing.

This is a weird attempt at a shot, given it's a reference to compact discs in a medieval fantasy setting.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
That's a terrible justification. Seeking a career in film acting is a choice. Don't want to face the casting couch? Don't seek a job in acting.

No, it's still not okay just because it involves something people can choose not to do.
Difference is, acting doesn't grant you the cosmic power to obliterate people at a whim. Wizards (and other Arcane users who don't even have to study to have his power) should rightfully be feared. Doesn't mean they should be murdered (like Marvels Mutants etc).

It probably all made a lot more sense when Wizards (sorcerers and warlocks not existing yet) where considered rare and not every 3rd person attended the local Wiz College.

Sure, but there are some pretty vehement "I hate Dragonlance" folks here, that seem offended by the concepts it espouses. I don't see a good conversation flowing from that.
I don't hate dragonlance... I doubt many do, but if reimagining we would like some problematic things (even if accidental and long ago when no one knew better) to be fixed

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Have you guys considered just making your "I don't like the core of the Dragonlance setting" argument and then moving on?

What's kind of sad is gutting it will take it from a "Romantic Knight" (something like that) (or however it was originally described) setting where "evil always eats itself and good always wins" to: "It's the setting with the dragon war."

Vaalingrade

Legend
Difference is, acting doesn't grant you the cosmic power to obliterate people at a whim. Wizards (and other Arcane users who don't even have to study to have his power) should rightfully be feared. Doesn't mean they should be murdered (like Marvels Mutants etc).
I don't think anyone is arguing that they don't have an excuse for what they're doing, just that the White Robes shouldn't be considered Good for participating because a lot of folks hold good to a higher standard then 'has a justification for murdering innocent people'.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten

It probably all made a lot more sense when Wizards (sorcerers and warlocks not existing yet) where considered rare and not every 3rd person attended the local Wiz College.
Personally, I think a more germane way of looking at wizards in the context of Dragonlance is that people are rightly aware that they have powers that allow them to commit any range of potential crimes, from date-rape (charm person) to outright terrorism (delayed blast fireball), and so a governing body was necessarily established. When someone insists on developing weapons like that, and says "I don't want no gub'mint telling me what I can and can't do!" when told that they need proper licensing and accreditation, treating them like dangerous criminals is the appropriate response.

Likewise, the final aspect of acquiring a license is necessarily a training exercise with live ordinance. While prospective candidates are prepared and trained ahead of time, it's going to be inevitable that sometimes a mistake will be made, the ordinance will go off, and they'll die as a result. That's tragic, but the risk is inherent when working with such dangerous materials.

I don't think anyone is arguing that they don't have an excuse for what they're doing, just that the White Robes shouldn't be considered Good for participating because a lot of folks hold good to a higher standard then 'has a justification for murdering innocent people'.
that's the thing evil and neutral people can act that way it's good ones that make us go "wait what?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases