Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zardnaar

Legend

Heh. All I'm saying is that a universe has to be consistent with itself. Take the Aztecs pointless sacrifices.

But in a fantasy world it might be part of creation. If evil wins creation ceases to exist or everyone is dead or mostly. The fate of a few mortals vs fate of the planet/universe/creation.

A lawful good general might have to sacrifice a city or army to win a war.

A lawful good God might have to make that decision to sacrifice a city, a chunk of land, a continent or whole planet.

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
Alot of those fresh takes are also terrible. A lot of reboots also fail. Do you really think in 30 years time people will care about 5E spelljamner or Dragonlance vs the originals now?

They'll get the initial sales bump just like every other 5E product then most likely go the way of Ravnica or Theros. No one cares that much about them now.

I could be wrong of course but we will see.

Perhaps...sometimes Reboots are highly successful.

Which Flash are you more familiar with...the one with the round metal silver helmet or the one in the red costume and mask?

I think Dark Sun 4e (though not as popular as somethings, I think may have been almost if not just as popular as the original when it came out) is pretty well respected.

More people alive today (especially under the age of 40) probably saw the Adams family movies instead of being familiar with the show.

You are right, a lot of reboots, ressurections, sequels DO fail. But not all of them.

I will never subscribe to the oft-repeated principle that new takes are always better takes.
And who is suggesting that? Who is claiming e.g. that the modern version of Spelljammer is flawless and entirely an improvement? Because this appears to be a strawman

You do however seem to be subscribing to the principle that the original is best. And no. No it isn't. Sometimes it is but not always.

More people alive today (especially under the age of 40) probably saw the Adams family movies instead of being familiar with the show.
Show? Show? What's this show? It's the comic strip that's the original. (And have you seen people objecting to the comic strip-accurate casting of Gomez for the new show?)

Vaalingrade

Legend
A lawful good general might have to sacrifice a city or army to win a war.

A lawful good God might have to make that decision to sacrifice a city, a chunk of land, a continent or whole planet.
And if they actively take part in that 'sacrifice' rather than say, are forced to withdraw and allow the enemy a foothold, then they just stop being good.

Haplo781

Legend
Nah, man. Nah.

Zardnaar

Legend
And if they actively take part in that 'sacrifice' rather than say, are forced to withdraw and allow the enemy a foothold, then they just stop being good.

Not really it's like lancing a boil or amputating a limb.

It's a fantasy universe if cosmic evil wins and the result of that is complete annihilation or mass death the fate of individual mortals don't matter.

Some fantasy is also a cycle of rebirth and destruction. If that process stops creation ceases to exist.

So two beings both might be lawful good but have very different ideas on what the good part is. A cosmic being like a god might be twsked with preserving creation as a whole.

If part of that is infected it's like removing a necrotic limb to save the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads