Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEB

Legend
Honestly, if all the 5E (core) races had been available back in the day when they originally did Dragonlance, I think they would have incorporated them from the start, and they're likely to give them a place now.
IDK, they didn't have halflings (kender are technically a suspiciously similar substitute) or half-orcs, both of which were core races at the time. Hard to see them skipping out on dragonborn if they'd had the chance, though...

Azuresun

Adventurer
Settings with excluded races? The MtG books generally restricted the races, stating the PHB races (or perhaps just most of them) are unknown in the settings unless visiting from other worlds. So you won't find gnomes, dragonborn, or tieflings in either of them (though really, tieflings would fit well with the Rakdos so I wouldn't be surprised if many DMs added them to the setting).

Forgotten Realms has always been a kitchen sink setting, and Eberron has generally been a setting of "if it exists in DnD, it has a place in Eberron", so no surprises that neither of those have race restrictions.

I think one solution that gets underused (perhaps from a reflex aversion to "special" characters) is simply saying that player characters who are an unusual race will actually be unique in the setting.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
IDK, they didn't have halflings (kender are technically a suspiciously similar substitute) or half-orcs, both of which were core races at the time. Hard to see them skipping out on dragonborn if they'd had the chance, though...
Didn't the 5E PHB say that dragonborn are called draconians on Krynn? My guess is that they'll make them PC-playable races, saying that PCs are draconians who've turned their back on the Dark Queen (similar to Kang, the leader of the non-evil draconians from The Doom Brigade).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I think one solution that gets underused (perhaps from a reflex aversion to "special" characters) is simply saying that player characters who are an unusual race will actually be unique in the setting.
Players IME generally balk at any downsides to their character choices. It would hard to avoid that in game if you belonged to a heritage of one without naked gamism.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Players IME generally balk at any downsides to their character choices. It would hard to avoid that in game if you belonged to a heritage of one without naked gamism.
Huh. My experience is the complete opposite. Not racial penalties to stats (although most everyone at my table loves having a low stat), but interesting inborn negative traits are much appreciated.

Kai Lord

Hero
Huh. My experience is the complete opposite. Not racial penalties to stats (although most everyone at my table loves having a low stat), but interesting inborn negative traits are much appreciated.
Agreed, and such characters don't even have to be wholly unique, just rare enough that they would have gone under the radar for all previous wars, novels, and what have you. Gilthanas already broke the "wizards must take the test rule" in official game materials and novel canon, so the "Gilthanas Clause" can just be expanded to cover those other rare exceptions whether they be magic or racial related.

Allowing tieflings doesn't mean there's suddenly a continent with a massive tiefling society, or that there are warlocks on every street corner, only that there are rules and an official callout in the sourcebooks for those select story driven exceptions, assuming that groups want to keep the involvement of such beings to a minimum.

a reimagined campaign setting doesn't need to be a continuation, it just needs the theme and concept with some of the big players and locations.

I just hope going forward WotC is honest with what is a reimagined, what is a relaunch, and what is a continuation...

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
a reimagined campaign setting doesn't need to be a continuation, it just needs the theme and concept with some of the big players and locations.

I just hope going forward WotC is honest with what is a reimagined, what is a relaunch, and what is a continuation...
True, which is why I am generally against re-imaginings, although of course WotC can do what it wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads