Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Yes, I am happy that people are no longer being accused of fabricating their opinions.
Fabricate

"To construct or manufacture (something, especially an industrial product), especially from prepared components."

Though I'm guessing you mean:

"To invent or concoct (something), typically with deceitful intent."

Interesting how certain words can have a duel meaning.

Not to nitpick or anything....

I guess I don’t see why being a casual fan is bad.
It's obviously not. But your post implied that it's regrettable for a work to be targeted at casual fans. If you did not intend to deride casual fans in your post, you did not do a good job of communicating that.

Faolyn

(she/her)
On the third hand, expecting current WotC to fix the problematic stuff may be a tad optimistic (see the recent hadozee controversy). I guess we will just have to wait and see.
The hadozee thing, however, is an honest mistake caused by a combination of three factors: the "minstrel" artwork, the "bred slaves" backstory, and the fact that they're monkey-people. If there had only been two of those factors--if they had been evolved naturally or been created by their own gods or were the result of a magical mishap, or if they were anthro otters, or the artwork showed them as knights in shining armor--then there almost certainly wouldn't have been a problem at all. It's only because of all three things together that they were problematic.

I don't believe that WotC would knowingly and willfully put problematic stuff (or at least, stuff that they know to be problematic) in a Dragonlance book, and I think if people continue to talk about the other bad stuff in old Dragonlance that it would make it harder for them to not know that something is problematic.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just seems really weird to me people fighting over a property they don’t care for or never touched or barely touched the fiction. Do you just need a win? Told your opinion based on minimal lore is just as weighted as those who know more about it?

Mod Note:
It is time for you to back off a couple of steps there. For one thing, you're making this personal. For another, the gatekeeping is pretty thick.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I said AD&D last I looked 2E was AD&D.
So? Dragonlance Adventures and the Dragonlance modules are all 1e products. Bringing up 2e and avatars is irrelevant to the rules for Krynnish gods as they were originally presented and conceived.

Zardnaar

Legend
So? Dragonlance Adventures and the Dragonlance modules are all 1e products. Bringing up 2e and avatars is irrelevant to the rules for Krynnish gods as they were originally presented and conceived.

Well Fizban is essentially an avatar by any other name.

Main point was the gods don't go head to head directly they use mortal proxies.

Hussar

Legend
The context here is a difference of opinion about the "thematic core" of DL, which is a subjective assessment. You cannot be "flat-out wrong" about a subjective assessment. So this is a red herring.
But ignoring two out of three things in order to talk about the third is better?

The point being, it's not totally unreasonable to expect a basic level of knowledge about something before pontificating strong opinions about it. Or, at least it's not unreasonable to expect people to keep an open mind if they don't have a basic level of knowledge on a subject.

As far as "I should only need to read the rule books" goes, @Faolyn, that's not really going to wash in Dragonlance (although it does in other settings) because, unlike other settings, Dragonlance didn't start as a boxed set. The setting guide came out years after the modules and the formative novels of the setting. And then we got three or four massive rewrites to the setting after that. Which of course does make conversation really tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads