Dragonlance Dragonlance: Solamnic Knights & Mages of High Sorcery Preview

WotC has shared another preview of the upcoming Dragonlance setting/adventure with a look at backgrounds and feats for Solamnic Knights and Mages of High Sorcery. Feats include Squire of Solamnia and Initiate of High Sorcery. Interestingly, one prerequisite is "Dragonlance Campaign", which implies that the feats can't be used outside that setting...

WotC has shared another preview of the upcoming Dragonlance setting/adventure with a look at backgrounds and feats for Solamnic Knights and Mages of High Sorcery.

knights-of-solamnia.jpg

Feats include Squire of Solamnia and Initiate of High Sorcery. Interestingly, one prerequisite is "Dragonlance Campaign", which implies that the feats can't be used outside that setting.

Reynard

Legend
The point of my post remains. This idea of "deep" worldbuilding (multiple supplements, etc) was not an aspect of early D&D, and avoiding such is not necessarily shallow worldbuilding.
While Greyhawk did not follow up with setting material, literally every other setting did. The implication that "early D&D didn't care about world building" is a disingenuous way to present that, especially considering it was the very beginnings of the hobby. I mean, many of the small companies the appeared in response to the existence of D&D were focus primarily on their own deeply detailed settings.

whimsychris123

Adventurer
While Greyhawk did not follow up with setting material, literally every other setting did. The implication that "early D&D didn't care about world building" is a disingenuous way to present that, especially considering it was the very beginnings of the hobby. I mean, many of the small companies the appeared in response to the existence of D&D were focus primarily on their own deeply detailed settings.
You stated that worldbuilding was a staple of early D&D, and I'm making the case that heavy worldbuilding wasn't really a thing until the mid-eighties, ten years after the appearance of the game. Yes, 2nd and 3rd editions went crazy with the world-building. You obviously prefer having multiple sourcebooks for a given world, but I don't. You call that shallow. I disagree. You say that the people at WotC don't care about worldbuilding. For me, to say that people like Chris Perkins and Wes Schneider don't care about worldbuilding or the history of the game is ludicrous.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads