• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dragons that can polymorph into humanoids...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Does anyone else find it weird that only the 'good guy' dragons are naturally capable of infiltrating humanoid society?
Yeah. I hadn't noticed the absence in chromatics since I don't use many dragons, preferring them to be rare and super impactful when they show up, but I will certainly be adding the ability to them if/when I use one of the appropriate age.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Does anyone else find it weird that only the 'good guy' dragons are naturally capable of infiltrating humanoid society?
It "forces" evil dragons to have minions/lackeys to stuff for them, and this is an possible avenue to adventure?

Mind you, this limit seems to be thrown out the window even by WotC when it "fits the plot". See a certain adventure path... (not naming it re spoilers)

Vaalingrade

Legend
It "forces" evil dragons to have minions/lackeys to stuff for them, and this is an possible avenue to adventure?
Easier to have lackeys when you're approachable by the downtrodden folks that get forced into the role and can actually meet with them instead of being a gigantic terror lizard hermit living so far away no one is going to visit and is too fat to enter a back alley.

nevin

Hero
it's a throwback to the oriental dragons. The metallic dragons were loosley designed on oriental dragons serving the heavens and the chromatic dragons are loosely designed on being the children of Tiamat the destroyer. I've always wished they'd done a bit more to make them more similar. It's basically sumerian dragons vs oriental dragons .

nevin

Hero
Easier to have lackeys when you're approachable by the downtrodden folks that get forced into the role and can actually meet with them instead of being a gigantic terror lizard hermit living so far away no one is going to visit and is too fat to enter a back alley.
I think the idea was always that the evil dragons felt mortals were so far beneath them that taking thier form was disgusting and a sign of weakness.

In my home campaign, dragons have clutches of 5 eggs. If all goes well, 1 egg might contain a dragon. The other eggs hatch into dragonborn (dragonborn are literally born of dragons, though they also breed true). At a young age, the dragon develops the ability to take on a personal dragonborn form, and fits in with their humanoid siblings. They don't get to be non-dragonborn.

Only very old dragons get the "polymorph into any humanoid or beast" ability, which does not have the same limitations.

This house rule is universal for all non-unique dragons, metallic, chromatic, and gem.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I think the idea was always that the evil dragons felt mortals were so far beneath them that taking thier form was disgusting and a sign of weakness.
Likely, but that's a throwback to Haye Code logic where villains always have to be bad at their jobs to show the kiddos that evil is self-destructive. Which I think is a bad lesson vs Good cooperates and improves itself... which is denied by things like how the Big Good dragons (and gods) basically don't do anything and wait for the party to do stuff.

Remove ads