D&D 5E Drizzt' Do Urden

Valetudo

Adventurer
Elminster, Gromph Baenre, maybe Kimmuriel or Afafrenfere (who single-handedly killed a white dragon). If I remember correctly, even Athrogate bested Drizzt in their first meeting in The Pirate King.
Elminster is past 20th lvl or even a standerdpc at this point. Gromph vs current drizzle, im sure RAS would have drizzle come out on top if gromph even still lives( I dont keep track). I dont know who Afafrefere is, but considering drizzle 2manned a white dragon with wulgar at around lvl 7, thats not that impressive. Im not sure who Athrogate is, need more info.

Valetudo

Adventurer
I'll add to @Prakriti's list and include Yvonnel Baenre (25th 2e) and Jarlaxle (18th 2e). Drizzt has always been listed as mid to high teens level (16th usually) whereas some of the other characters are older and more experienced.
isnt Yvonnel dead? And above 20th lvl. Jarlaxle isnt actually more skilled than drizzle, he just carries a bunch of OPed items, atleast thats how RAS always wrote it imo. Drizzle became epic during 4th editions run or right before then. And has many years of almost constant adventuring to improve and level up. Im not a drizzle defender by the way but the claim that drizzle isnt written as one of FRs top dogs isnt true. We dont know how current drizzle would compare to these people. You need to compare current people RAS is using. Other than Elminster,because hes been retconned even more than drizzle.

Prism

Explorer
isnt Yvonnel dead? And above 20th lvl. Jarlaxle isnt actually more skilled than drizzle, he just carries a bunch of OPed items, atleast thats how RAS always wrote it imo. Drizzle became epic during 4th editions run or right before then. And has many years of almost constant adventuring to improve and level up. Im not a drizzle defender by the way but the claim that drizzle isnt written as one of FRs top dogs isnt true. We dont know how current drizzle would compare to these people. You need to compare current people RAS is using. Other than Elminster,because hes been retconned even more than drizzle.

No Yvonnel is still there. Gromph too. The way he writes about some of the characters suggest they are awesomely powerful, almost divine. They are still classed as almost untouchable, just like they were at the beginning. Drizz't is still much the same as he was. He tends to deal with the slightly lesser threats. In recently books Drizzt has come into conflict with some of these others and has lost. He recently got his butt kicked by a monk called Kane.

To convert this into 5e D&D terms, there is no epic, so we assume characters like Gromph are roughly level 20 then that pegs Drizzt a few levels lower. Still very high level and influential. Saying that, RAS seems to have a liking for high level spellcasters being presented as top tier. Probably this comes from his 1st edition roots where that was very much the case.

Melikye

First Post
Yvonnel is a new Yvonnel. She was born and grew to a young lady in weeks. She has both the strongest divine and arcane powers because she is gromphs daughter technically and because lady loth gifted her with unbelievable powers. I still don't think a character no matter whom it is can stay the same level they where 10 years ago with all the experience they wrack up questing and what not in books. Gromph hasn't done much but I would put him at level 20 plus. They state he could probably only be bested my El. I think you guys are forgetting that even though we are now in 5th edition characters can still pas 20. I can't remember what they are called but then they get access to more powerful magic items up to plus 5 at least. I haven't read either new manual in a while but I know that is the case. Also in the first book of the last series they have Drizzt basically taking down the Monolith not just a monolith. I wish Paul S Kemp would write more about Erevis Cale on a different note. Loved those books!

Melikye

First Post
Oh and Kane is hundreds of years old and is said to have transcended his mortal body. Even before this he pretty much took out three dragons himself at least according to the books. I don't know that there is anyone who could take him down now lol but of course could be wrong but he is approaching god hood.

Valetudo

Adventurer
Oh and Kane is hundreds of years old and is said to have transcended his mortal body. Even before this he pretty much took out three dragons himself at least according to the books. I don't know that there is anyone who could take him down now lol but of course could be wrong but he is approaching god hood.
wow so RAS ripped off a deadmans character and put it in one of his books? Thats classy.

Melikye

First Post
Honestly I don't know. My paper books are all packed since I just moved but he was part of garith dragonsbanes court. I think we g has written of these characters too. Honestly don't know who's they are. RAS write about them for the first time in the last sellswords book with entreri and jaraxle. That was a good book there

With how fast advancement is in 5E, I wouldn't find a Drizz't with fewer than 20 levels to be plausible, given everything he's gone through. Though I admit I stopped reading sometime shortly after Starless Night.

Remove ads