D&D 5E Drizzt' Do Urden

Zardnaar

Legend
The following is an adaption of Drizzt Do’Urden based heavily on his 2E stats and 3.0 stats to a lesser extent. I know he was in 4E but I do not have access to DDI and I feel that was not a good conversion of him as Drizzt in that edition has 24 strength. Basiucally I will ignore his 4E incarnation as it doesn’t playnice with previous established canon as Drizzt was a member of the ranger class. Also his stats between later day 2E product and 3.0 match up.

Sources Used
Menzoberranzan boxed set
Heroes Lorebook
Drow of the Underdark (2E)
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (FRCS, 3.0)
Magic of Faerun (3.0)
Dark Elf Trilogy (novels)

I also have the Archfiends D&D Drizzt mini as well woot.
Reconciling the D&Ds. As it turns out Drizt had at least 3 different stat blocks in 2E and his 3.0 stat block was notoriously weak. In 2E material he was stated to have been a level 15 (Menoberranzan) or 16 Ranger (Heroes lorebook, FR boxed set) who was formerly a level 18 fighter. He retrained his whole class it seems. 3.0 took this into account and made him a level 10 fighter/Ranger5/Barbarian 1. 4E did advance the timeline as well and he has done a bit since Siege of Darkness so Drizzt gaining some levels is fair enough. Due to changes in game mechanics I will ignore the 3.0 Barbarian level and for 5E make him a straight fighter/ranger.
His stats 1994-2001 various sources.

Str13
Dex 20
Con 15
Int 17
Wisdom 17
Cha 14

I will leave these the same. I will assume they rolled his stats and you could have these stats at level 1 using the Drow race and 4d6 drop the lowest. Yeas I know it is not very likely but it is possible.
How many fighter levels to give Drizzt? 3.0 gave him 10 and I will dump the barbarian level and make it a fighter level to make it level 11. This conveniently gives him a 3rd attack in 5E rules. In 3.0 he had 5 levels of Ranger and that would bring hium up to 16 levels which is faithful to his2E roots. The Drizzt of the 1480’s FR I would give him 8 levels of Ranger which also gives him a bonus feat. In some 2E material he did have an instant kill ability so I will make him a champion fighter to represent that and a hunter Ranger. For a ranger ability one could make the argument for colossus slayer or horde breaker. I will chose the horde breaker ability as he had Goblins as a favoured enemy in previous editions and this will let him have 5 atacks a round if he is getting swarmed and this seems to let him match up with his abilities in the novels.

3.0 gave him a barbarian level to represent his days in the underdark from the novel Exile. In 5E that ability is represented by the hunter subclass of ranger. He gets 3 feats as well as his stats are high enough already so no ability score boost. Of course he gets the dual wielder feat and I will also give him the alertness feat and the lucky feat. They represent his abilities in the novels as he pulls himself out of difficult situations. I also considered the resilient and sentinel feats as well along with medium armor master. He also has 3 weapon styles, I would give him archery, defence and two weapon style.

Magic items. Drizzt’s key items are a +5 defender, +3 frostbrand, +4 mithril chain mail a figurine of wondrous power and bracers of the blinding strike. The armor and defender become +3 weapons in 5E and the figurine, frostbrand and bracers would require attunement I would let the defender and +3 armor slide and not require attunement. Drow of the Underdark and Magic of Faerun have the game stats for bracers of the blinding strike. They granted +6 AC and had a haste effect attached which doubled your attacks 3/time a day in 2E for 1 round or gave an extra attack in 3.0. The 3.0 ones were kind of watered down IMHO and the 2E ones are a very easy conversion. 3 times per long rest the bracers let you use action surge. His armor is a bit redundant in 5E in terms of AC as AD&D had no dex limit on armor and mithril chainmail in 3.0 was medium armor. Drizzt would be better off not wearing his magical armor and using his bracers for AC.

Skills.
Drizzts skills are semi obvious. He should have the noble back ground gaining history and persuasion, and trained in stealth and perception skills. His ability scores are high enough. Additionally he picks up another skill form his ranger multiclass. In Sojourn he learned the ways of the upper world from Montolio so I would assume he picked up survival. I would ad hoc in the removal of the Drows weakness to light. That required a feat in 3.0 and the light fighting non weapon proficiency in 2E. There is no equivalent in 5E so just ad hoc it in for him.

Drizzt Do Urden Fighter 11 (champion) Ranger 5 (hunter) circa 1371 DR.
Armor Class 23 (bracers, dexterity, combat style, feat, AC 24-26 with +3 defender)
Hit Points 132 (16d10+32)
Speed 30 ft.
Saving Throws Dex +5, Con +6, Str +6,Int +3, Wis +3, Cha +2
Abilities: Str 13 (+1), Dex 20 (+5), Con 15 (+2), Int 17 (+3), Wis 17 (+3), Cha 15 (+2)
Feats: Alertness, Dual Wielder, Lucky
Skills History+8, Perception +8, Persuasion +7, Stealth +10, Survival +8,
Class Abilities ) Action Surge 4/long rest, Combat style (archery, defence, two weapon fighting), favoured enemy (goblins), horde breaker, improved critical, (19/20, natural explorer, primeval awareness, remarkable athlete, second wind (1d10+11) , spells,
Senses passive Perception 18
Languages Dwarven, Elven, Common, Goblin, Giant
Actions.
Multiattack: The Drizzt makes 4 melee attacks or 3 ranged attacks.
Scimitars. Melee or ranged Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 5’, Hit 12 (1d6+8)) slashing damage
Longbow +12 to hit, Hit 10 (1d8+5) damage

Bracers of the Blinding Strike (requires attunement)
2E to 5E conversion (Drow of the Underdark)
The bracers are AC 16 and 3 time per long rest the bracers can double your attacks. The bracers also grant advantage on initiative rolls.

3.0 to 5E conversion (Magic of Faerun)
The bracers grant a +6 bonus to AC and advantage on initiative rolls. In addition gain an extra action per turn. That action can only be used to take the attack (one weapon attack only) action.

Suggested tweak to the bracers.
You may equip the bracers on the ankles instead. You gain advantage to initiative rolls, and a +2 bonus to AC. In addition gain an extra action per turn. That action can only be used to take the dash or disengage action.

JeffB

Legend
You forgot

Divide Fan Base +40 1d12+6 threads per day

Wicked Cool Dual wielding- male readers under 14 years of age must save vs. charm (Wisdom save DC 25) or next 10 characters rolled will be a Drizzt clone. Save again at 25 years of age, and every 10 years after until Charm is dispelled , or death of player via Group Concensus.

I would personally give him level 11 in ranger as that would give him Whilwind attack. Which seems like a natural fit for him to run around slashing enemies apart.

Shiroiken

Legend
You forgot

Wicked Cool Dual wielding- male readers under 14 years of age must save vs. charm (Wisdom save DC 25) or next 10 characters rolled will be a Drizzt clone. Save again at 25 years of age, and every 10 years after until Charm is dispelled , or death of player via Group Concensus.
LOL! Glad I didn't become a Drizzt fan until my mid-30's then :)

Zardnaar

Legend
You forgot

Drow elves touching two scimitars at once must make a DC 100 constitution save or be erased from reality. They cannot be raised.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Drow elves touching two scimitars at once must make a DC 100 constitution save or be erased from reality. They cannot be raised.

I think you rather meant:
Drow elves touching two scimitars at once force all DMs within 25 feet of said drow player to make a DC 100 CON check or begin uttering paroxysmal rage rants with a 10% chance of intermittent coronary infarctions.

NOTHING will cause all drow players to stop dual wielding. :)

fjw70

Adventurer
Man the fan-boyism and hate around Drizzt really cracks me up. I was away from gaming when Drizzt came a round and I missed the Drizzt wars. It must have been brutal. :)

Paraxis

Explorer
If and it is a huge "If" I were to ever introduce an npc close to the capabilities of Drizzt to one of my campaigns I would stat him up like a Legendary Monster not a PC.

No class levels, just attacks, special abilities, legendary actions, more hit points than the whole party combined, he would break all the rules in the player's handbook if he needed to.

If I wanted to make a Drizzt clone as a PC, I would go with 12 levels of Fighter(Battlemaster) 8 levels of Ranger(Hunter), so pretty close to what the OP suggested.

Remove ads