D&D General Drow in early D&D

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What the heck is a "Grey Elf"?
In Middle Earth, they are the Telari who started on the journey West but stopped before crossing the Sea (Legolas and Mirkwood being the primary example).

In Greyhawk, they are reclusive and Fey Montain Elves. In 5E, they are called out as Hifh Elves in the PHB. I think Sun Elves in FR are the equivalent, but maybe less associated with Mointain enclaves.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
On a similar note, a friend of mine and I were talking about D&D at work when another coworker (who doesn't play D&D) overheard our conversation and asked what a "halfling" was. I told him, "it's a hobbit with the serial numbers filed off."

Johnathan
Pretty sure the term is actually used in LotR. Can’t remember by who though. Saruman? Eomer? Dunno!

Omand

Hero
Pretty sure the term is actually used in LotR. Can’t remember by who though. Saruman? Eomer? Dunno!
Used in the novels a few times by several characters (don't ask me who at the moment). In fact, I am pretty sure that halfling is used instead of Hobbit in at least one of the foretellings of the doom of the ring. In the movies I think it is only used once.

Cheers :)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
What the heck is a "Grey Elf"?
Thats what Humans called Moon Elfs, which were a type of High Elf/Eladrin

Apparently GGygax pulled Dark Elfs directly from Norse Döckálfar but used the Shetland dialect Dtrow for the name

From Fairy Mythology, Thomas Keightley (1828)
Döckálfar (Dark Alfs) dwell below under ground, and are unlike them [Light Alfs] in appearance, and still more unlike in actions. The Liosálfar are whiter than the sun in appearance, but the Döckálfar are blacker than pitch."

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Used in the novels a few times by several characters (don't ask me who at the moment). In fact, I am pretty sure that halfling is used instead of Hobbit in at least one of the foretellings of the doom of the ring. In the movies I think it is only used once.
Well, more than just once.

All joking aside, the term is used several times throughout the films. When Treebeard thinks that Merry and Pippin might be little orcs, they protest "we're hobbits! Halflings!" Likewise, we see Saruman telling the uruk-hai in the above clip that "one of the halflings carries something of great value." I'm sure there are more.

Omand

Hero
Well, more than just once.

All joking aside, the term is used several times throughout the films. When Treebeard thinks that Merry and Pippin might be little orcs, they protest "we're hobbits! Halflings!" Likewise, we see Saruman telling the uruk-hai in the above clip that "one of the halflings carries something of great value." I'm sure there are more.
Thanks. I have not watched the films is some time, so my memory was foggy.

Cheers :)

Remove ads