D&D General Drow in early D&D

Orius

Legend
Pretty sure the term is actually used in LotR. Can’t remember by who though. Saruman? Eomer? Dunno!
Several places. Halfling was what the Hobbits were known as to the men of Gondor primarily. If it wasn't used in the prologue, then it first probably got used by Boromir, who tends to refer to the hobbits as halflings. I believe Faramir and Denethor use the term too, and Pippin hears it quite a bit during his stay in Minas Tirith.

In the Fellowship film, Boromir uses the term halfling in his Ring-fueled rant on Amon Hen; much of those words were taken right from the book.

This was shared on Twitter by HOW I RUN IT. It's fascinating how that short paragraph evolved into an entire culture, and how it's still evolving into multiple cultures.

What strikes me with that is not what it says about drow but what it says fairies: "fairies are good". Our perception of fairies has changed a lot since the 1970s, influenced by earlier folk tales rather than the twee Disneyfication of the fair folk. Now they are generally seen as chaotic, capricious, and sometimes malevolent.

Several places. Halfling was what the Hobbits were known as to the men of Gondor primarily. If it wasn't used in the prologue, then it first probably got used by Boromir, who tends to refer to the hobbits as halflings. I believe Faramir and Denethor use the term too, and Pippin hears it quite a bit during his stay in Minas Tirith.

In the Fellowship film, Boromir uses the term halfling in his Ring-fueled rant on Amon Hen; much of those words were taken right from the book.
It's used in Rohan too. And Merry and Pippin use it when they are trying to explain what they are to Treebeard, after "hobbit" gets a blank look.

Halfling is the general name in the Common tongue, "hobbit" is the word in their own language/dialect which the hobbits use for themselves.

Remove ads