• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drow: like cow or crow?

How do prefer to pronounce drow?

• Like cow. MOOO, baby!

Votes: 203 67.4%
  • Like crow. As in, eat it for pronouncing it wrong!

Votes: 74 24.6%
  • Dark elf. Forget the stupid word drow

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • Never use them, so it doesn\'t matter.

Votes: 8 2.7%

rounser

First Post
Well, the word "drow" comes from the same base as "troll" and "trow". Given that we pronounce troll as tr-OH-ll, and most people agree how troll is pronounced (i.e. not like the gardening tool - "trowel"), draw your own conclusions on whether the official version might be awry...

Last edited:

Sabaron

First Post
I'll put it simply: Drow (rhymes with crow) sounds cool, takes less time to say, and it's just "row" with a "D".

Drow (rhymes with cow) sounds really stupid, takes longer to say, and isn't anything like "cow".

I also say that the poll questions are highly biased. :p

Holy Bovine

First Post
Any doubt as to how I voted? ;)

This always reminds me of a player I gamed with years ago who insisted that lich was pronounced 'like' (as in 'I like Mike'). :rolleyes

I wonder what happened to that guy. Eaten by wolves I suppose....

rounser

First Post
Actually, good Bovine, there's some doubt as to how to pronounce "lich" - words like lichgate muddy the waters. There's an in-depth discussion of it somewhere, and if I recall correctly either pronounciation was deemed valid - so stop rolling them big ol' cow eyes. ;)

That said, I'm part of the "litch"-sayers.

Last edited:

Bonedagger

First Post
Pronouncing it like "dow" makes it sound like "dove". (Wich besides from being the symbol for peace is also a chocolate and a soap brand) It also sound like it's some snob pronouncing it who thinks "r'es" are beneath him. "Oh look Charles, a Dow. Go see what the little fella wants".

This race is hilarious enough as it is. They don't need this to.

Last edited:

I also say that the poll questions are highly biased.

How so? Drow-cow is a bad association, for obvious reasons (sorry, Holy Bovine, but face it: most folks don't want to be associated with cows) but drow-crow isn't so hot either, and I made a joke about the crow-guys eating crow for pronouncing it wrong. Perhaps the dark elf answer is biased? (that's the one I voted for, BTW...)

Still, it seems cow leads crow more than 2/1. If I had to pick between the two, I'd definately say crow: the way I first interpreted it years ago...

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
When I discovered the "drow" listing in an old, unexpurgated dictionary, created the race for the D&D game system, I pronounced the name as to rhyme with cow. Ah, but what's in a name? So if someone prefers it to rhyme with crow, that's acceptible too--as in many words, there can be alternate pronunciations that are correct.

Dark elf? Noppers! That's something from Norse mythology, the dickalfar, and they ain't like drow at all ;)

Gary

Jeremy

Explorer
And quicklings just aren't as intimidating as a race modelled after spiders that eat their mates. Torture as an art form, competetition encouraged (especially competition elimination), endless dark filled with poison, knives, and dark magicks.. Just more atmosphere for creepyness than little, quick, dark faeries.

[plug]Of course, when P.Kitty used them they were probably a terror. Check out the Defenders of Daybreak Early Years and see what I mean.[/plug]

;)

Gez

First Post
Actually, I pronounce the "ow" in "drow", "cow", "crow", "now", "how", and "snow" the same way... But I'm French, dappy english k-niggets ! Where do you think I got this awful accent from ?

(PS: Your mother was an hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries !)

:p :D ;) :cool:

Remove ads