• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drow overpowered?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Drow dangerous again! Another reason to love 4E.

But...

As noted, to hit with a poison on a weapon takes a second attack vs. fort. This is spelled out in the DMG (including for drow poison).

Still, I have to credit your dm for giving you hell. :angel:

mneme

Explorer
I threw it into the middle of the room, dispelling part of the DarkCloud. My Avenger and the Swordmage in our party then kept pulling/pushing/sliding/teleporting our targets back into that zone of light.

My impresion is that your DM isn't, really, running 4e with the book-standard flavor -- he's running 4e with random hoses and 3isms and 1isms mixed in.

Which is cool if you're cool with it -- but it does mean little things like letting cloud of darkness work as "end of encounter" instead of as-written "end of next round", letting darkvision work through it, and for that matter, having light spells counter dark spells (a 3eism). By the book, 4e has a very different flavor than 1e, with a lot more system openness and a contract to stick to certain power levels--substantially a different one than 3e, but not all GMs run it that way.

renau1g

First Post
Yes, they are very tough. Fighting them would be a great time to use leader powers that grant extra saves since only the fail at the end of your turn results in bad effects.

Unless you were a very unlucky Warden (fail 1st time at beginning of turn with Font of Life, fail at end of turn with regular save)

fireinthedust

Explorer
Dice4Hire: what? how are Cha/Dex remotely good for casters? The only class that uses them both is Sorcerer, and I suppose Rogue. The really hardcore stats for casters are Int, Con and Wis. An Int/Wis race or an Int/Con race can pull (for example) a swordmage/artificer or a orbizard/artificer. Heck, even Bard doesn't use Cha/Dex (which is bizarre to me, but it can't really be helped I suppose), ditto the Warlock. Well, fey pact uses Cha, but that's not really helpful with the Dex bonus.
Even bosting useful secondary or tertiary stats is only so-so for most arcane or divine classes.

Darkvision is the game-smasher power for heroic, sure, but the rest of 4e PC drow isn't really an issue.

renau1g

First Post
Yeah it really bugs me that they threw away all the past editions of fluff where drow wizards were super powerful and now they are worse than halflings... freakin' halflings make better wizards than drow!

Flazzy

First Post
Note that Drow were also considered superb clerics and never once had a wisdom bonus.
Edit: Sorry, except for 2nd ed where I recall females having one. But not 3rd for sure.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Unless you were a very unlucky Warden (fail 1st time at beginning of turn with Font of Life, fail at end of turn with regular save)

Not true. Any saving throw you gain (from a class feature, item, or power) can't have a detrimental effect on your character. Only your normal save at the end of your turn can.

So the Warden is safe.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads