• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid/Psion.. quirky yes.. but do-able?

Three_Haligonians

First Post
Hey all,

One of my players is looking to create a Psion/Druid. It is entirely for flavour/fluff/character driven reasons and I'm all for it.

Now, the first thing that came to my mind was that this is not a standard combo and I'm afraid that the character will end up lacking in the "oomph" department - which I know can easily happen with multiclassing caster types.

So I thought ENWorld might help brainstorm some ideas for synergy between the two - good powers to take (she's a telepath) along with spells, or feats, or even PrCs (is there a +1 manifester/+1 divine spellcaster class out there?)

Any advice or help would be appreciated,

J from Three Haligonians

Slaved

First Post
I think the Ardent is a Wisdom-Based Manifester so that would be a better option. With the Practiced Manifester feat the character can also keep up on the highest level of powers for awhile.

Taking one of the Druid + Arcane Caster Prestige Classes and making it work with Psionics instead would keep the character in the game for longer as well.

I don't think a Druid10/Psion10 would be viable, but there are probably a number of ways to do an asymetric build aided by PrCs that would end up being useful. Can you tell us the story behind this character, so we know what's it's supposed to end up like (and because it sounds pretty interesting)?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Three_Haligonians said:
PrCs (is there a +1 manifester/+1 divine spellcaster class out there?)
Where was the Arcane Heirophant from -- Races of the Wild, I think?

That might be a good adaptation. Enforce the Psion take the Psicrystal Affinity feat, and use its features in place of the Familiar advancement.

Cheers, -- N

QuaziquestGM

First Post
"Oomph"?

That only matters if your game is more combat than story based. How are you setting up the xp earning challeges?

On the same line of thought, "Oomph" level for a psion depends on what type of psion. Does he want to run a telepath, a nomad, a metacreationist, .......Is there a place for those? Plan to allow astral caravans? Instead of beating it down, can they telepath or ghost their ways though the challenges? Is this "fair" in your games, or do they have to "provoke and confront" and then kill it? Do you assume the rogue is there to scout-bypass-disarm-quietly retrieve, or to flank-sneak attack?

In short, what does he want to build, and how does that fit into your assumptions about encounter design and the rest of the groups playstyle?

Generally speaking, a druid doesn't need any help unless it is an urban/diplomatic game. Entangle/stonespikes, spam SNA, Get'em boy, oh i have to melee-wildshape, anybody hurt i got a couple clw's....In the long term he'll do more damage with entangle and summoned woodchucks than he will with flame strike, firestorm, and sunburst.

Now does he want to mix that with
-bamfing all over the place (nomad)
-making energy critters (builder)
-even more wildshape (shaper)
-I don't just have "to talk to the animals" (telepath)
-kablast (the evoker one)

Remove ads