Dune: Adventures in the Imperium is Now Available!

The most anticipated tabletop RPG of 2021... and 2020! ... is anticipated no more! You can now pick up the PDF of Dune: Adventures in the Imperium! It's 336 pages, powered by Modiphius' 2d20 System, and also includes a starter adventure. You can also pre-order the hardcover, or various accessories.
The most anticipated tabletop RPG of 2021... and 2020! ... is anticipated no more! You can now pick up the PDF of Dune: Adventures in the Imperium! It's 336 pages, powered by Modiphius' 2d20 System, and also includes a starter adventure.

dune.jpeg

You can also pre-order the hardcover, or various accessories.

meltdownpass

Explorer
Dune is probably my favorite science fiction setting. The artwork here looks great, but I am not sure I am interested in Modiphius system. Will have to learn more about it.

Ulfgeir

Hero
"powered by Modiphius' 2d20 System,"

For the ignorant, like myself, what does this system (at least or best) compare to?
If it is like the system they use in Star Trek, John Carter, and so on, it is something like this (Going a bit from memory here, but looking at the John Carter system).

Base: Roll 2d20. It is roll low. Each die that is below the sum of two attributes is a success (I believe it is attribute + skill in Star Trek). Each die that is equal to or lower than the weakest of the attributes get an extra success. The difficulty tells how many successes you need. You can gain up to 3 extra dice to roll.

Normally you would need a single success, but you can need up to 5 for almost impossible things..

Last edited:

imagineGod

Legend
Those of us who were not there for The Last Unicorn edition can finally get an affordable Dune role playing game, thanks to Modiphius Entertainment.

And here is a nice review of it too, especially for those still sitting on the fence.

If it is like the system they use in Star Trek, John Carter, and so on, it is something like this (Going a bit from memory here, but looking at the John Carter system).

Base: Roll 2d20. It is roll low. Each die that is below the sum of two attributes is a success (I believe it is attribute + skill in Star Trek). Each die that is equal to or lower than the weakest of the attributes get an extra success. The difficulty tells how many successes you need. You can gain up to 3 extra dice to roll.

Normally you would need a single success, but you can need up to 5 for almsot impossible things..
Thanks for that. I will digest it. I love Dune and read the novel twice.

Ulfgeir

Hero
You also have a thing called momentum, which you can get by succeeding very well, and that can be used to power some abilites as far as I recall.

Note though, that you might need to roll if you are really good maybe 14 or below, and only get the extra successes if you roll say 4 or 5 or below. The systems are similar but different in their different games, and those changes will change a lot on how deadly it is.

You also have a thing called momentum, which you can get by succeeding very well, and that can be used to power some abilites as far as I recall.

Note though, that you might need to roll if you nare really good maybe 14 or below, and only get the extra successes if you roll say 4 or 5 or below. The systems are similar but different in their different games, and those changes will change a lot on how deadly it is.
Cool. Some innovative work there and re-imagining going on. I'd have to play a demo-game to really get the feel. I can appreciate systems that can inflate/expand and are more granular and less cut-n-dried linear. Each has its own strength and purpose. In my board game design, Magus (Dragon Magazine #147 insert), I forwarded a simple concept of modifying a 2d6 roll for movement purposes. Like I noted, I like granular mechanics as long as they don't go too far down rabbit holes.

lyle.spade

Adventurer

This is a good overview of how the system works. I play their versions of Star Trek and Conan, and was a play tester for Dune and Achtung! Cthulhu - I love 2d20; it's a great, flexible system.

Remove ads

Remove ads