D&D 5E Dungeon & Dragons in Japan.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Call of Chulthu can be more popular than D&D in Japan but this has got more flexibility to add elements from other IPs.
My weird theory is that Call of Cthulhu can more easily adhere to the kishōtenketsu structure than D&D. D&D is more goal-oriented while Call of Cthulhu is more terrible stuff happens and you have to deal with it.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
If anything, there would be less incentive. Asian culture isn't exotic to Asians. Imagine if you (a Westerner presumably) were happily watching a samurai movie and suddenly a medieval European knight in plate mail showed up.
It's true, medieval fantasy is a lot more interesting to the Japanese than Ninjas or Samurai (despite the prevalence of both in anime). What we really need is something we can all agree on. Like a Godzilla RPG!

We should remember Western culture is "exotic" for the point of view of Far-East Asians, in the same sense the culture from far lands are exotic for our eyes.

The "isekai" (= "other world") is a very popular subgenre in the current manga, but this is about people from our world travelling to other, (usually by means of reincarnation). About Japanese fantasy I miss the racial diversity. Almost always they are only humans in the groups of main characters, and some times a "kemonomimi" ( = "animal ears"). (If the kemonomimi are humans with animal ears, and these are on the top of the head, then the ear canals should be vertically or diagonally.

378c16596a555742323d9c26d8625a10e95dd50c.pnj

The TTRPGs are modular by nature, I mean D&D allows different styles of games and stories.

Now we have the giantouchd race (goliaths and firbolgs), the felinefolk (tabaxi, and catfolk), usagimimi (harengon), the classic shifters (predator beastfolk..), the slimefolk (plasmoids..).

Why not a half-oni PC race?

Somebody could imagine a "waifu" version of the korokoburu. The most of pictures of no-D&D korokoburu are carring a giant leaf used as umbrella.

images

Future settings should allow enough space to ca add later the (ki) martial adept classes.

* Could a remade version of the kappa be a PC race using a variant version of the tortles? Maybe adding some special trait as "if the bald pate is not wet, the hear and fire cause double damage".

* Maybe I am not objetive but the History of my land is relavitely used to the "cultural polinitation". Do you know? In a little town near Sevilla (Spain, the place of Expo 92) there are Spanish people with the surname "Japon" because their ancestors are from a Christian Japanese colony who arrived in the near XVII century. The current Spanish youngest generations are very used to manga and anime.

Last edited:

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
We should remember Western culture is "exotic" for the point of view of Far-East Asians, in the same sense the culture from far lands are exotic for our eyes.
Right. It's hard to discuss nowadays, but I think Japan and the West as a whole have a sort of mutally-exoticising fandom. They can't get enough of our knights and wizards, and we can't get enough of their samurai and ninja!
Somebody could imagine a "waifu" version of the korokoburu. The most of pictures of no-D&D korokoburu are carring a giant leaf used as umbrella.

images
They made 'waifu' versions of the Cthulhu Mythos, so why not? (Yes, they've got Nyarlathotep as a Japanese schoolgirl.)
* Maybe I am not objetive but the History of my land is relavitely used to the "cultural polinitation". Do you know? In a little town near Sevilla (Spain, the place of Expo 92) there are Spanish people with the surname "Japon" because their ancestors are from a Christian Japanese colony who arrived in the near XVII century. The current Spanish youngest generations are very used to manga and anime.
Well, there's a reason the furnishings start with 'al'. ;) (alfombra, almohada...) There were some problems in 1492 as I recall, but that was a while ago. (More relevantly probably post-Franco I'd guess?)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases