• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dungeon tiles for minatures

zabom

First Post
I just opened an ETSY store selling 3D printed role playing game map tiles. All tiles are compatible with D&D, Pathfinder, and Dwarvenforge as well as many other popular role playing games. I print these with only the highest quality ABS plastic. They are all then vapor smoothed and hand painted for the highest quality role play experience. There are many more listings to come, but it is a start. If any of you have any ideas that you would like to see made for your campaigns let me know.

Visit RPGenius

zabom

First Post
I just want to give a huge thank you to everyone who put in orders for my grand opening. My printers are running 24 hours a day, and everything should be shipped by Friday. You guys are the best.

jgsugden

Legend
(Not trying to be a stinker here: Just trying to help make things clearer for you and your customers)

Can you give us a little bit more information about your product? Materials? Given the difference in price points, why buy your product instead of the cheaper Dwarven Forge Dwarvenite Products?

A lot of your target audience are people that would already own Dwarven Forge or other cast dungeon pieces. As a suggestion, I'd look to design pieces that Dwarven Forge does not offer. Pull open dungeon maps from preprinted adventures and look for chambers that you can't replicate with Dwarven Forge - and then make those features / terrain. For example, Dwarven Forge has buildings (from their last Kickstarter), dungeons and caverns... but they don't have wilderness terrain handled. Swamps, hills, forests... things that I might be able to put on a flat map to add features to it. I'd also like to see taller wall pieces (double height and pieces with 30 or 45 degree slopes, especially if they can be used to make zigzag passages up the wall of a chamber.

Nice-looking products. 3D printing must be great for small businesses like this!

Add my vote to printing outdoor stuff. Trees, vine-covered altars, stone and wood walls, swampy stone slabs, tents, campfires. Things that can go on a printed base map (something like Heroic Maps) to add interest. Things like the Dungeon Magic Circle.

Also consider standing stones. Many years ago I ran a game vaguely themed around sentient standing stones and I couldn't find figures for them. I tried making them, but I'm not very good. If you offered something that would let me recreate Avebury or Stonehenge, I'd probably buy them, painted or unpainted.

Except that I won't be buying them, because you don't ship outside the USA.

However, I think your products share an issue with the Dwarven Forge products, namely the height of the walls.

I play in a game where one player has spent many, many hundreds of dollars on Dwarven Forge items, so he likes to show them off. He builds huge elaborate dungeons. However, once the walls go up and the figures go in, I can't tell what is going on without standing up, leaning over and looking directly down. From a sitting position, I can't see anything past the walls.

Have you considered making half-height walls? Maybe 10-15 mm? Something that indicates "here is a wall" but that doesn't block players' vision?

Anyway, good luck with the business.

zabom

First Post
Actually all of the things suggested are already in the works. As for materials, they are all made of ABS plastic (the same plastic as legos) with a 30% infill. They are then vapor smoothed and hand painted. The final finishing is a felt bottom. As for being more expensive than Dwarven Forge, that actually isn't the case. Their starter sets might be a bit cheaper, but their accessories such as doors, furniture, and special tiles are far more expensive. I base my prices on actual materials and time. since those special pieces are the same size as the basic pieces, they tend to be close to the same price. The biggest reason to go with mine however, would be the fact that I can do custom orders. If you have a campaign that will need a specific type or a special color of terrain I will be happy to work with you. In fact I just added a wall of gargoyle statues and a crypt set that was requested by a customer, and I am in the process of modeling a forge tile for that same customer. Keep watching, you will see new tiles added every week.

Coredump

Explorer
Hey, glad its going well, and I hope you do great.

I also, however, find the tall walls great to look at, but a pain when actually playing. I would prefer walls that are 1/3 or maybe even 1/6 of what you currently have. It will still look great, and give the impression of walls, but you can still see the mini's, and can pick them up and move them easily.

You also may want to experiment with making the walls thinner. As it is now, they basically take over half of a tile space, so a 10' wide corridor is actually 7.5'. If you could make them about 1/2 the width, then it would be easier to play them as 10' corridors.

In addition, these changes will cut down on time and materials, making your product even more affordable.

You could still make some 'accent' pieces that were full height. Things like doors, windows, columns, fireplace, even a wall segment. They would add to the impression of height and a 'complete' room, yet still allow for vision and movement.

Evenglare

Adventurer
So this stuff is absolutely amazing, but I can't get excited about it because I can never figure out how I would sort these things or make enough space for them. I love the concept though, I can't even manage dungeon tiles effectively but I love using them when I can. I think this might be good for some sort of "base" that you would visit a lot, but then in an actual game you normally just role play that type of stuff with no map, at least that's what we do. I really hope you do well with this though, I'm sure it appeals to a bunch of gamers out there.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
these are amazing, and the fact that they are hand painted and affordable, gonna get me some, just bookmarked your page. Thank you for sharing here.

Remove ads