D&D General #Dungeon23

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well, if nothing else, sounds like there will be about 20 million megadungeons lurking in the wild by the end of 2023.

* Or at least the first 1 to 3 levels of 20 million megadungeons, depending how long people's New Year's Resolutions hold out.
I have already been asked to take this seriously by one of my players, so that there's always something prepared whenever someone wants to play (we have people scattered over multiple timezones playing by Zoom, as adult schedules allow), which is a pretty good argument, IMO.

I'm going old school, with the levels of the dungeon being semi-balanced for character levels 1 through 12, so once I'm a month or two in, it shouldn't be that hard to always have something on hand.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I’m thinking giant hexagonal shaped tower - each week a new level. Each hex has a different environment. 7 encounters to be had in each hex

It’ll be part Tower of God anime, part Chalker’s Well World novels, part Garth Nix’s Keys to the Kingdom novels, part Ygdrasill

I might use Sean Mccoy’s prompts, or not

Wondering what people will use when their inspiration/intention starts to lag/fade?

Was considering creating a Discord channel for people to share what they are working on or to complain about blocks or whatever they need to break through. A no-judgment space for support

DM me if you are interested

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Wondering what people will use when their inspiration/intention starts to lag/fade?
Goodman Games' Dungeon Alphabet, Monster Alphabet and Cthulhu Alphabet to the rescue for me.

If I find myself just going "bleh, it's a room with some skeletons," I will reach for Monster Alphabet and roll on the skeletons page until something inspirational comes up. Similarly with "it's just some stupid temple room."

But I also think it's worth reiterating McCoy's advice: It's OK to have empty rooms. If you are sending your players into a "dungeon" with 365 rooms, they will need empty rooms to be able to camp, heal up, potentially barricade themselves in when they're being pursued, etc.

And depending on what your theme is, the rooms without active threats can be the most interesting. Maybe that's where the clues to the next challenge are. Maybe it's where you have to complete a task you've pieced together. Maybe it's the landing spot for that surprise drop down two levels when the halfling accidentally triggered a trap.

Given the number of levels involved, it's also worth thinking about dungeon archeology -- are all of these levels built by the same people? Are some of these repurposed? A few levels of caves is a good way to break things up, for instance.

And if you're making multiple ways in and out of the dungeon and each level, just connecting those up should keep things somewhat interesting, especially if you don't just randomly have those happen in corridors -- those seem like points that would be more likely to have some sort of guardian in place than others.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I think I'm going to use some Ideas from Trophy to help frame things. Theme to help frame sets, and both of those to help frame 'rooms', by which I really just mean linked sets of encounters. Trophy incursions start with a flowchart and each flowchart item could hold however many 'rooms'. It probably helps that I already have a framework laid out for this of course. :)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm going to challenge Dungeon Alchemist to make me a room every day. Every fifth day or so I'll make a connection between rooms, or somethiing.

Then, hmmmm, I think I'll start with, I don't know what kind of monsters! Likely a lamp sitting in the middle of the room. A lit lamp, with a trail of blood leading thru the archway.....

Remove ads