• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General #Dungeon23

M_Natas

Hero
Hope you're feeling better!

I'm running late, as usual, but should have my next week in tomorrow.
I'm good now, but I felt so bad for days. The first time I couldn't do #Dungeon23 since it started. And now it is quite hars to get back into the rhythm.

M_Natas

Hero
Having some catching up to do after a nasty stomach bug. Also need to prepare my spelljammer game I run next Sunday... so here we go:

Day 156 to 165 - Asteroid field

Day 156: Stonewall: Stonewall appears as a solid, grayish-brown asteroid composed entirely of rugged, weathered stone. It has a pockmarked surface, revealing the countless impacts it has endured over the ages.
Day 157: Frostbite: This asteroid is covered in a thick layer of glacial ice, giving it a glistening, frozen appearance. Frigid winds whip across its surface, making it inhospitable to most forms of life.
Day 158: Dustwhisper: Dustwhisper is a dusty asteroid with a dry, barren surface. Fine particles of dust and sand constantly swirl in the asteroid’s thin atmosphere, creating an eerie haze that obscures vision.
Day 159: Cobblestone: Cobblestone is a medium-sized asteroid featuring a patchwork of various types of stone, forming a mosaic-like terrain. The stones range in size and color, giving it a unique and uneven appearance.
Day 160: Iceberg Haven: This large asteroid resembles a massive floating iceberg, with only a fraction of its icy bulk visible above the surface. It has an intricate network of tunnels and caves carved into the ice, providing shelter for hardy explorers.
Day 161: Slatewind: Slatewind appears as a flat, slate-gray asteroid with a few scattered boulders dotting its surface. It is frequently buffeted by strong winds, which make eerie, haunting sounds as they whistle through narrow crevices.
Day 162: Crystal Hollow: This asteroid appears unremarkable from the outside, but within its core lies a vast network of crystal caverns. The caverns are filled with stunning formations, radiating soft, colorful hues when illuminated.
Day 163: Ironhide: Ironhide is a dense asteroid composed primarily of iron ore, giving it a dark, metallic appearance. Its magnetic field is unusually strong, affecting nearby metallic objects and causing compasses to go haywire.
Day 164: Quicksilver: Quicksilver is a small, shimmering asteroid covered in a layer of liquid mercury. The mercury constantly ripples and shifts, reflecting light in a mesmerizing manner, but caution is advised due to its toxic nature.
Day 165: Granite Fields: This asteroid is characterized by vast fields of rugged granite boulders scattered across its surface. It resembles a rocky wasteland, offering limited resources but serving as a potential hiding place for those seeking solitude.

Hidden Secrets:

Havenstead: Within one of the seemingly mundane asteroids lies a hidden Thorp called Havenstead. Disguised as an ordinary rock, it conceals a small community of space-faring individuals who have carved out a humble living in the depths of the asteroid.
Nebula’s Bounty: A seemingly unremarkable farming asteroid hides a secret farm cultivating rare and exotic space crops. The farmers utilize advanced technology and controlled environments to grow peculiar alien fruits and vegetables.
Frostvine Manor: Concealed within an icy asteroid is Frostvine Manor, an isolated estate where an enigmatic noble family dwells. They have developed a unique technique to farm an otherworldly plant that thrives in the harsh cold, possessing rare and valuable properties.
View attachment 287606
Day 166 - Skullhaven

Skullhaven is an asteroid in the Flumphaven asteroid belt that is shaped like a giant skull. Whether this is a freak of nature or actually the skull of a gigantic creature is impossible to say.

Size: A (3 miles in diameter)

Shape: Irregular

Type: Earth

Atmosphere: rotten

Wilderness: none

Hazards: Instability, undead

Population: A small pirate enclave of 11 individuals, led by a Neogi who has enslaved the others (dwarves, halflings, gnomes).

Secrets: Inside the labyrinthine cave system of Skullhaven are the ruins of a long-gone civilisation. Pirates avoid the ruins because they are haunted by undead.
20230615_144518.jpg

gorice

Hero
Forest Garden, Week 2

8: Hedge Maze
  • Thick with overgrowth, thorns and flowers, but the original stone maze paths are still (just) visible. Visibility poor due to darkness from overhanging foliage and wayward branches.
  • (?) Hacking through the maze walls is possible but difficult.

9: Courtroom Boxes
  • (!) A forest knight guards the door to the box.
  • A heavy, stuck door of brass seals the box off from the forest.
  • Each box overlooks the courtroom from high above.

10: Sluice Gates
  • The canals end in closed sluices – slabs of blackened metal submerged in water.
  • Slabs can be raised and lowered by chains that pass through loops high on the wall and back down to brass wheels caked in verdigris.
  • (?) The wheels are stuck fast.
  • (?) The slabs can be pried open, but will need to be held.
  • (?) The sluices exit via the water mouths in the city (East and West). As soon as a sluice starts to open, it will pour water through the mouth.

11: Emperor Fig
  • (!) The Spider Man lairs high in its boughs, sly and peckish. He is a shapeless mass of rags until his legs unwind.
    • Wants: Lady Pinnes’ spellbook; to toy with his food
    • Needs: to feast on blood
    • Fears: magic, especially Lady Pinnes’
    • Knows: he doesn’t remember how it all started
  • The tree is vast, with snake-like roots and smooth branches strung with giant cobwebs.
  • (?) The fig’s fruit are not quite inedible, though they smell delicious.

12: Model Village: Lady Pinnes’ Cottage
  • (!) Lady Pinnes lairs in the bedroom. She is a fierce pretty face in a bundle of tattered silk and brocade until her runed wasp-limbs emerge.
    • Wants: the spider man dead; to toy with her food
    • Needs: to feast on blood
    • Fears: the spider man’s bite
    • Knows: something about the higher levels, though she’s mostly forgotten
  • An aristocrat’s imitation of an idyllic peasant cottage, somehow still clean, colourful and pretty.
  • (?) In the bedroom drawers, a gilt silver mirror and an ivory hairbrush worth 5 coins each.

13: Model Village: Abandoned Cottage
  • A dilapidated imitation of a peasant house.
  • There is a skeleton tucked into the moth-eaten covers of the bed.
  • (?) A pair of ruby earrings worth 5 coins.
  • (?) The covers are fine cotton with a high thread count, now ruined.

14: Model Village: Barn
  • The barn is filled with old bones, human and animal. The only tool is a rusted wood axe.

Last edited:

Mad_Jack

Legend
True. But the idea I had for this would be 20 levels deep. One room a day is 188 rooms, or about 9 or 10 rooms per level. That seems small for a level.

Do two or three, or even four or five on days when your inspiration goes past just the one room... You'll catch up pretty quick.
Hell, my "dungeon" is actually about fourteen small dungeons spread out across a hundred square miles of swamp, and more than one of the "rooms" I've designed was a tunnel that carried on for ten miles out past the edge of the swamp to end beneath the local town...
Sometimes I go a whole week without doing anything with it, and sometimes I design nearly two dozen rooms at once when I get into it.

gorice

Hero
Forest Garden, week 3

15: Spear Thicket
  • A boggy area with waist-high long grass.
  • (!) Spears buried deep in the bog, with their rusted heads facing up, at odd angles. Running into these means taking a hit.
  • (??) A successful search reveals (roll 1d6)
    • 1-3 = A bit of rusted armour.
    • 4 = A golden torc worth 10 coins (only once)
    • 5 = Old bones.
    • 6 = The hilt of the fabled Cloudslicer, gilt, wrapped in dragon skin, studded with enamel skulls, and sporting a ragged bit of rust where it’s giant blade used to be.

16: Village Pond
  • (!) Lair of the swan monsters, nesting in the reeds. They love to feast on human flesh.
  • A small artificial lake ringed with high rushes.
  • (?) The dinghy parked on the bank is leaky but mostly intact.

17: Gaoler’s Grotto
  • (!) Lair of an armoured ogre demon. Victims are shut up in the cells within the grotto caves.
  • (?) Pile of old human bones under a nearby tree.
  • Most cells are empty. One contains Magpie, a sly treasure hunter who got herself captured. Her rope, water, sword, and ornate crystal lantern (20 coins, a treasure she filched from the upper levels) are outside her locked cell.
    • Mapie wants: treasure!
    • Needs: her freedom
    • Fears: betrayal, the ogre
    • Knows: how to sneak in by prying open the sluices. A little about the next level up.
  • (?) There is a stone cupboard filled with extremely exotic, but long-rusted and disused, instruments of torture.

18: Imperial Boulevard
  • Broad path of marble flagstones flecked with moss and lichen. Overshadowed and hemmed in by tall trees with broad gnarly boughs.

19: Blue Apes
  • (!) A small colony of blue apes, living in the nearby trees. The apes speak common.
    • Wants: mischief, insignia of rank
    • Needs: they have all they need
    • Fears: swan monsters, wyvern
    • Knows: a little about the denizens of the garden, but nothing beyond

20: Roadblock
  • A pile of 3 upended carriages, now tangle of verdigris and rotten harwood. They block the road (but could be climbed over).
  • (!) The wyvern monitors this area for prey.
  • (??) The carriages were self-propelled and might contain useful salvage.

21: Lift
  • Elevator cage down to the green room in the fortress.
  • (?) Brass control rods still function.

Last edited:

gorice

Hero
Just a small update: I might not be able to get my next entry in next week, depending on my internet situation, but I'll still be doing my daily rooms.

Also, I've avoided prodding anyone about their updates, because no-one needs that, but I hope you are all well and I look forward to seeing anything you produce.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads