D&D General #Dungeon23

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I stopped for a while because the negativity around the game and hobby became overwhelming when I thought about the game.
But I think I'm ready to restart.

So, tell me, how do I unstuck my pause?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I stopped for a while because the negativity around the game and hobby became overwhelming when I thought about the game.

Random tables. Roll until something strikes your fancy or gets something going in your brain, possibly when you're not thinking about it, like during a walk or in the shower. (Obviously, bringing random tables into your shower has the potential to cause a real mess, so use your best judgement here.)

Reynard

Legend
01.26: Master’s Study:

Accesses: The master’s study is accessible by way of a door int he north wall leading to the Master Suite (01.27) and a locked and magically warded door in the south wall leading to the upper master stair (01.25). The lock is of high quality and the ward both bars passage and alerts the study’s guardian (see below) unless bypassed by magical means.

Description: Like the study (01.24) this room is dominated by bookshelves full of esoteric and eldritch tomes, as well as comfortable and exquisitely crafted furniture. No magic circle is found on the floor, however. Instead, magical sigils are etched into the walls, floor and ceiling so lightly as to be nearly invisible except with an arcane eye. A cold blue fire burns in the fireplace and there is little moisture damage and no pest damage here.

The Guardian: A venomous geist thrall haunts this room, bound to defend its contents from any intruders. Like the one in the master stair (01.10) it attacks an intruder invisibly, poisoning its target with a deadly ghost toxin. If it is rendered incapacitated, it dissipates until the next moonrise and reassumes its duties. Note that ti will serve the Master of the Manor, whoever that is (see 02.xx).

Treasure: The master study contains double the normal number of baubles/artifacts as usual. In addition, the books in the study grant mastery the same way as in room 01.24. Finally, there are 2d4+1 randomly determined magical scrolls among the books.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Room 66 - Mulching Room

The door to this 15'x15' room has a finely printed sign that says "Please Keep Door Closed" (matching the print quality on the door of 69 and label in 70). Either opening the door or inspecting the edges while shut reveals that there is cloth around the sides of the door to give a tight seal. The reason for wanting that is immediately obvious from the exceedingly strong acrid/decay/wood odor that starts to come out of the room, and a voice says from above the door says "<expletive of choice>, in or out, hurry up!". Anyone actually entering the room capable of smelling must make a DC 8 Con save or be subject to the Poisoned effect until such a save is made (the DC goes up by 2 after each of the first three failures; it goes to DC 6 if they leave the room).

The smell apparently comes from the huge pile of sawdust, poor quality boards and logs, chamber pot leavings, and plate scrapings slowly decaying in the middle of the room. This is where Picus Rubro in 67 gets rid of the leftovers from his woodworking and also any bodies or other annoying things. There is currently a decaying, headless, Bugbear body (see room 70), a nearly stripped clean halfling skeleton, and parts of several other humanois under the sawdust. It appears anything unmulchable is removed from the bodies before they are put in. The cleaning of the parts is being done by a Swarm of Rot Grubs.

The request to hurry up comes from the Gale Mephit (see below; whose name is "West Wind's April Storm Herald" in Auran and sounds something like "Oh-Shwish-ooo-ooo") that has been bound to guarding the smell. It will use its Gust Breath to keep the smell in if the party dilly dallies. If attacked it will retreat to near the ceiling to defend itself and yell for help in Auran and loudly repeat the <expletive of choice> as needed. (The phrase above is the only thing it knows in common).

Oh-Shwish-ooo-ooo doesn't have much hope that help will come. But there is a 3'x3' poorly made frame of sticks leaning against the north-west corner that Tum Tum (see 65) can look through and use if the mood strikes him. It is also possible that Grandma (in 64) might have one of her children look down the hall if it continues long enough.

View attachment 273680

Gale Mephit
Small Elemental, Netutral Evil

Armor Class: 12
Hit Points: 17 (5d6)
Speed: 30 ft. fly 30 ft.

Str 6 (-3), Dex 14 (+2), Con 10 (+0), Int 9 (-1), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 12 (+1)

Skills: Perception +2, Stealth +4
Damage Resistance: Thunder
Damage Immunities: Poison
Condition Immunities: Poisoned
Senses: Darkvision 60ft, Passive Perception 12
Languages: Auran

Death Burst - When the mephit dies, it leaves with a 5' radius blast of wind. Unsecured objects within the area of effect are automatically pushed 5 feet away and torches and candles are extinguished. Creatures must make a strength save and on a failed roll are also pushed 5 feet away. Those failing the save who are forced into a wall must make a DC 10 Dexterity save or take 2 (1d4) blugeoning damage.

Innate spellcasting 1/day. The mephit can innately cast Cyclonic Wave, requiring no components. (As Thunderwave but 1d8 Blugeoning Damage instead of any Thunder damage, and the effect is only audible to 100 feet as a huge blast of wind and not thunder). Its innate spellcasting ability is Charisma.

Actions

Claws: Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5ft. one creature. Hit: 4 (1d4+2) slashing damage.

Gust Breath (Recharge 6): The mephit exhales a 15-foot cone of wind. Each creature in that area must make a Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 5 feet away from you. Objects being neither held nor carried are pushed up to 10 feet away.

Challenge: 1/4 (50xp) Proficiency Bonus: +2

Room 65 - Tum-Tum and Friends

This doorless 15'x15' room has a curtain of rough cloth covering the entrance. The floor is covered with scattered random pieces of metal (parts of a stove, pieces of armor, a few shields, swords, broken swords), wood unsuitable for woodworking (a few board pieces with big blemishes, sticks from somewhere, a split broom stick), and some badly dyed fabric.

Looking carefully will show that some of the refuse seems to be set up as little shelters with beds, chairs, and tables. And in the south west corner there is a little wooden frame that the Boggle Tum-Tum can use to get to 66 or 67.

In addition to Tum-Tum, Grandma's grandchildren Belle and Gretel (rotatingly played by the six pixies - Aestyl, Bowynn, Briasa, Cherel, Stegeutel, and Yssa ) live here. While Tum-Tum stays in the suite of rooms, the pixies will occasionally venture out to play pranks in other parts of the vault. They don't quite know what to make of Grandma, but having two of them visiting her will often get them some tasty snacks (and luckily Grandma doesn't seem able to tell them apart).

1674960824088.png

Picture edited 28 Jan 2023 to correct door to curtain to match description.

Pixie names courtesy of https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/pixie-names.php .

The next room created (#64) is in post #421 D&D General - #Dungeon23 .

Last edited:

M_Natas

Hero

Where does the trip to your megadungeon star? Is it a tavern? A ship? The Adventures Guild? Start with that and describe that. Where do the adventurers meet for the first time?

Quickleaf

Legend

I'm one of those weird types who has some very particular exercises for breaking through being stuck – accelerated breathing, getting upside down (heart over head), continuous flow writing, trying to imagine a scene while running on a trail, people watching on public transit and turning traits I observe into NPC ideas, etc, etc.

However, maybe for you it's just to immerse in something to do with this hobby that fills you with positivity. Maybe that's making a map, maybe that's reading a fantasy book you've neglected, maybe that's painting minis. I'd just go into one of those things, low pressure, but holding your intention lightly that you're letting your mind search for inspiration for your dungeon.

Remove ads