D&D General Dungeons & Dragons Animated Series: Requiem The Final Episode

Fans have made the "final" episode of the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon. The original series was cancelled before a final episode could be made, although its script is apparently findable online. [Update - for some reason they've disabled sharing of their video, so click this link to go directly to it]. Fear not: Ranger, Barbarian, Magician, Thief, Cavalier, and Acrobat. That was Venger, the...

Fans have made the "final" episode of the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon. The original series was cancelled before a final episode could be made, although its script is apparently findable online.

[Update - for some reason they've disabled sharing of their video, so click this link to go directly to it].

Fear not: Ranger, Barbarian, Magician, Thief, Cavalier, and Acrobat. That was Venger, the force of evil. I am Dungeon Master, your guide in the realm of Dungeons and Dragons!

"The Final episode of the 1980s Saturday morning cartoon Dungeons and Dragons. From a script written by series writer Michael Reeves. Fully animated by using original footage from the series. Dialog from the DVD radio show released in 2006 by BCI eclipse. With original cast member Katie Leigh graciously reprising her role of Shelia. Music reconstructed from the original series (with varying degrees of success) The creators of this episode are fans first, amateur animators second. There are many things I wish could have done differently in this presentation, but I am very proud of what we have accomplished and it is my hope that those who love this cartoon as much as we do will be pleased with what we have put together. "

Gary Gygax's son, Ernest Gary Gygax Jr., said this about it -- "Two individuals have spent months of time to create this fan ending episode to the D&D cartoon. This was not the chosen closer that my father had so wished, as he had desired at least another season or three. With that in mind this fan generated not for profit episode is first rate and deserves to be seen and shared with other D&D gaming fans and perhaps now with this in hand more parents will look for the cartoon and share it with 21st Century youngsters."

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Watching a bunch of the episodes over the past month or so, I've been awed most by how awful the exploration pillar looks!

Sacrosanct

Legend
My understanding is that EGG felt the kids' reliance on unusual magic items was taking the focus away from the AD&D ruleset and wanted to re-center the show on them using mechanics that would be more standard around the gaming table. Ironically, I'm not actually sure the show would have been all that different without the special magic items since those items were basically exaggerations of their class features anyway (magic bow for the ranger, invisibility cloak for the thief, etc).
Considering he was hemorrhaging money on hookers and blow during the cartoon air dates, and then had to rush back to Wisconsin for company drama and then promptly got forced out, I'm sure he had other things on his mind rather than how to do the 4th season ;)

Sacrosanct

Legend
loved this as a kid. Would love a modern D&D animated series, a bit closer to the game.

This brings back memories when the only time you got great cartoons other than the vintage Loony Tunes stuff was on Saturday morning. It used to be magical and I was up early for 3-4 hours of cartoons every week. This, the Spider friends, etc.

Don't forget after school cartoons. GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, Visionaries, Sectaurs, etc. ;)

But yes. I grew up on a farm. So I'd wake up at 4 just to get chores done so I could start watching at 7 lol

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Don't forget after school cartoons. GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, Visionaries, Sectaurs, etc. ;)

But yes. I grew up on a farm. So I'd wake up at 4 just to get chores done so I could start watching at 7 lol

For me there were tiers of cartoons.

Tier 1 - Saturday Morning. (though admittedly many of these were not my cup of tea, but always thought the production values were better)
Tier 2 - After school stuff like Transformers.
Tier 3 - Loony Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Heckle and Jeckle, etc.

These days I'd probably get the most fun from T3 for the sheer nostalgia. I remember when Saturday morning Cartoons started to die off and how is kind of ruined the mystique of Saturday morning. But dedicated cartoon channels were coming online...we just didn't have cable back then.

Sacrosanct

Legend

Tier 1 - Saturday Morning. (though admittedly many of these were not my cup of tea, but always thought the production values were better)

These days I'd probably get the most fun from T3 for the sheer nostalgia. I remember when Saturday morning Cartoons started to die off and how is kind of ruined the mystique of Saturday morning. But dedicated cartoon channels were coming online...we just didn't have cable back then.

We didn't have cable either. And while many cartoons don't hold up, like GI Joe or Transformers (not bad, just not as good as they were when we watched them as they aired. Ironically, Dungeons and Dragons cartoon holds up better than most), there are a few that came out in the early 90s that do, like Gargoyles, Batman the Animated Series, and Animaniacs.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

Wait, which Tier is best? (The 36 or so discs of Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry I have make me want to think you have that as the best one -- but putting them with Heckle and Jeckle is throwing me off). And I'm double confused since Looney Tunes were Saturday Morning when I was growing up. :)

itsmarkda

Explorer
Epic
So well done! I am really impressed by their work. Is it perfect? No. Did I enjoy it immensely? Absolutely! I will be recommending this to my gaming friends.

Remove ads

Remove ads