• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dungeonscape Lives!

Nylanfs

Adventurer
And they also can't talk about who they are pursuing until the damn deal is done. That is standard business practices.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
So maybe they shouldn't be hyping something then, if they can't talk about it? All they are doing is generating ill will.

Look at the reaction to this on reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/2o9p9g/exclusive_the_death_of_dungeonscape_trapdoors/

Mostly ignored, but what reaction there is, it's negative.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2o70pf/trapdoor_technologies_officially_announce/

Non-amazingly they don't ever says what they are going to be doing, just like dungeonscape never really said what it was going to be.

But at least they have every confidence they can pull it off. Whatever that is.

casterblaster

First Post
Maybe this thread should be moved if they can't or won't support 5e? I could care less actually but the way they are going about this feels all wrong.

Ramius613

Explorer
Wow, they honestly sound like they have their heads up their butts. They seem to really think that people are "fans of Project Morningstar" rather than fans of a good tool for whatever game they're playing. Are they seriously trying to promo a character builder without mentioning the dang game system it's for? I don't care how shiny the stat selection is, I'm not going to go buy and read a thousand pages of Pathfinder books (or whatever) to have the opportunity to use it.
Do you know what Morningstar is besides just being a character builder that they admitted was poorly designed for the web and Android interface?

Dausuul

Legend
My problem is why people aren't more outraged that one again Wizards took their toys and went home.
Bluntly put, I'm not outraged because the Dungeonscape beta was disastrous. It was crawling with bugs that should have been shaken out during internal testing long before anything was released to the public. Maybe the iOS version was better, but what we saw on the web was abysmal. If that was the quality of their work, I'd have cut ties with them too.

Moreover, what were they offering that we were supposed to be so excited for? A character builder? I can get a dozen of those on the web for free. Not only that, but 5E makes it easy to build a character by hand again--much easier than either 3E or 4E--so a character builder has to really blow me away before I start getting excited. Even pretending the bugs weren't there, Dungeonscape didn't show me anything that other character builders hadn't done before just as well.

It doesn't help that the Trapdoor guys keep trying to work us up with breathless, substance-free hype. I'm working on a little 5E gadget of my own--an encounter builder and combat tracker--and I happen to think it's got some pretty neat features, but I'm not under any delusions that the whole Internet is just waiting breathlessly to hear me announce it. If I want anybody to use my app*, I'm going to have to pitch them on specific reasons why it's better than what they've got now, not just bloviate about how wonderful my app is.

[SIZE=-2]*Always assuming we get some sort of licensing scheme that allows it to see the light of day. If not, it'll be just me and my group using it.[/SIZE]

Last edited:

Remove ads