• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarf = Pack mule

Kesh

First Post
Okay, so I was working up a dwarven cleric for our group. And I noticed something that makes a dwarf into the group's pack mule:

Encumbered speed:
You move at your normal speed, even when it would be reduced by armor or a heavy load.

Normal load is STR x 10. Heavy load (which normally Slows the character) is STR x20.

This means my 13 STR dwarf can carry up to 260 pounds worth of stuff, and still ignores the speed penalty from his chainmail. I can already tell my companions are going to be tossing all the stuff to carry at me during adventures. Even the 20 STR dragonborn paladin can't carry as much at normal load as I can at heavy load!

Has anyone else come up with ways to take advantage of this?

TacoSupreme

First Post
When heavily encumbered you cannot use anything in either of your hands. So it will work for moving from place to place, but not for combat or much of anything else. Still should work fine for Nodwick the dwarven henchman.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
This explains why Giants once thought it worthwhile to keep dwarves as slaves. Despite the size difference, dwarves can still cart around the giants' stuff.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Kesh said:
I can already tell my companions are going to be tossing all the stuff to carry at me during adventures. ...
Has anyone else come up with ways to take advantage of this?
Take the party's stuff for yourself and become rich/powerful off all the crap you've been hauling for ages. ;)

Seriously, though. How is this any different from 3.5? Aside from a simple multiplier rather than a complicated carrying table. A dwarf in that version could carry up to a heavy load (and wear any armor) with no (further) speed penalties, making them great pack mules.

Kesh

First Post
TacoSupreme said:
When heavily encumbered you cannot use anything in either of your hands. So it will work for moving from place to place, but not for combat or much of anything else. Still should work fine for Nodwick the dwarven henchman.

That's if you're carrying the weight in your hands. If it's all in your pack, I don't see it as a problem. (Though how you're fitting that plate armor in a backpack, I haven't the foggiest. ;) )

Filcher

First Post
Let the Dragonborn paladin load up on heavy armor that would otherwise slow him down.

Put him on your broad dwarven shoulders.

Ferry the slow Dragoborn into battle at full speed!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads