Dwarven Sayings

Presto2112

Explorer
I've developed "May your beard grow long and your axe stay sharp" as a parting statement given to respected and honoured acquaintances and dignitaries. It's my dwarven version of "Live Long and Prosper".

Presto2112

Explorer
Ambrus said:
A good dwarven swear word is "Sandstone!" It's a soft and brittle stone that no dwarf worth his salt would be pleased to build with or live beneath. ;)

"Shale" would be good here, too. A very soft, brittle stone, basically just dried, tightly packed clay.

*Drops a hammer on his toe*

"Oh, SHALE!!!"

*hops about swearing*

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Presto2112 said:
I've developed "May your beard grow long and your axe stay sharp" as a parting statement given to respected and honoured acquaintances and dignitaries. It's my dwarven version of "Live Long and Prosper".
I like that. "SHALE!" as the dwarven s-word is funny, too.

Presto2112

Explorer
FnordBear said:
And a good dwarven pre battle speech.

"From this moment my kinsmen, we are dead. We march forth as a hammer striking an anvil to create something worth being alive for."

That sounds very similar to something I heard a Jem'Hadar commander say to his troops on a episode of DS9 last week. Something like "We are Jem'Hadar, and as of this moment, we are dead. We are all dead. Only through victory will we regain our lives."

I'm paraphrasing.

I thought that would be a great speech to base an inspiring speech for a grim clan of dwarf warriors.

Of course, right after that, O'Brien say "I am Miles O'Brien, and I am very much a live, and would prefer to stay that way."

IcyCool

First Post
InVinoVeritas said:
"You have talent, boy, but no edge. You're unfired, impure, dross hangs on you like last night's ale. I'll have to smelt you something fierce before you'll be worthy."

Am I the only one who read that and immediately had my mind go to the gutter?

MarkB

Legend
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I like that. "SHALE!" as the dwarven s-word is funny, too.
The online comic Digger features a wombat who's a professional miner. One of her favourite curses is "Blood and shale!"

I think there may have been a few more dwarf-adaptable ones in that strip. I'll browse the archives.

Ahzad

Explorer
going off of memory b/c i can't find the character sheet, and the book (the tolkien companion) the phrase comes from is in storage, but i had a dwarf pc, kyan redaxe the dreadbeard who used to shout "Barak Khazad ai meniou", spelling is awful, but it translates to "the axes of the dwarves are upon you"

Kwitchit

First Post
Warhammer:
When I was young, my father taught me three things. Never accept a gift from an Elf, never trust gold that glitters in darkness, and NEVER forget a grudge.
-King Alrik Ranulfsson of Karak-Hirn (an ultra-traditionalist dwarf king)

"Fit for Goblins"- Unspeakably bad
"Not fit for Goblins"- even worse

Remove ads