Dwarven Sayings

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
"Elvish ore"- slang for wood. Another "false friend." More than one argument has been started because sharp-eared Elves overheard Dwarven craftsmen talking about getting "a load of Elvish ore for the shop" without understanding the slang.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
"Zircon" - a person who is bright, but whose ideas are not as valuable as he thinks they are. It is based on the fact that zircon is more refractive than diamond, so can appear more brilliant when faceted. It's used as a good natured jab at promising apprentices who tend to get ahead of themselves.

Bill Reich

First Post
From the Diary of Darum Wirehilt of the Black Mountain Wirehilts

"The person who purported to offer me employment seems to have been deceased
for ten years, almost half of a Human lifetime."

"So now, I sit in a low-class bar, drinking thin over-priced beer that even Humans in the
lowlands near the Black Mountain would call goat-piss. And I would, if it were not
unseemly in public, be kicking myself for poor planning or, as my Uncle Steelbender calls
it, poor life choices."

"The farrier's kit is compact and fairly light
and can be transported on a donkey or a Human."

"So four other guys came forward. Three Humans but one of them seemed like a kid, maybe
five years old I guess. But I’m no expert on Human ages so maybe he was older, or a little
younger. One of the others was very odd-looking but there is a lot of variation among
Humans. I think they have a lot of mutations, what with their generations being so short
and their breeding habits being so bizarre."

"He questioned us briefly and warned us to stay out of
trouble and went on his way. In a well-run city with a solid constabulary, he would have
arrested us. For mopery with intent to gawk if nothing else. However, I did not point this
out. As Uncle Steelbender always said, “Don’t argue with someone who is already doing
what you want him to do.”

"it would have earned him a
rather long period of reeducation in the Black Mountain or any other well-run Dwarf
community but other people have other ways, always improper, disorderly and often
sinful but their own."

"You just get to thinking you understand a Human and she or he goes ahead
and dies, so there’s no point."

(I can just hear my father and Uncle Steelbender chuckling about “somebody trying to hurt Darum by hitting him on the
head)

"We Dwarfs have short arms and the more
reach a weapon has the better."

"When you hit Gnolls, you have to hit them hard."

"This time, I hit some of them and one of them
hit me with his dying bite and hurt me. By the way, that is an extremely irritating
quality of Gnolls. Why bite someone when your dead. Dead should act dead, I always say.
When the fight was over and one of the dogs and I were being healed, I thought about four
Gnolls attacking us when were a few hours walk from the center of a town. That would
never happen at the Black Mountain or any other well-run community, Dwarf or
Human. It’s another reason I’m in a bad mood now."

--
https://sites.google.com/site/grreference/home/05-the-black-mountain

pogre

Legend
I like when Dwarves refer to other races by different names:

Human = Manling
(Gotrek of Gotrek and Felix Warhammer Novels
Halfling = Peck
Wulf Ratbane

"Clan, Heart and Hearth" - A Dwarven woman's prayer. Adding "By" to the beginning makes it a promissory oath used by all.

"Dross", "Split", "Slag", "Bushes" - all curses the first three are forging mistakes, the last is obviously a racial thing.

"Quenched wrong" - not right, a little off, insane. "That dwarf is (has been) quenched wrong."

"Broken anvils can still be thrown" - Even a useless thing has its uses.

"By pick, drill or hammer" - By any means (necessary)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases